General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Purchasing New Civic--- any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Default Purchasing New Civic--- any suggestions

Hey Gang!
I am new here---I am shopping for a 2008 Honda Civic---this will be my first "foreign" car. And living here in the Motor City --this is not an easy obstacle to do. I have many second thoughts and want to make sure I am happy with the purchase.
I am looking at the Auto, EX because my wife wants a sunroof. The one we want stickers for just shy of 21K and the dealer is offering it for about 19.5K. Is this typical pricing?
I have heard that the reliability is excellent with these cars. Anything I should be concerned with or stay away from?

Thanks!
Scott

Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Purchasing New Civic--- any suggestions

honestly, i can't think of anything to be concerned of. It's a great car, i test drove a 5-speed LX and it hadsome pep. i haven't heard anything bad about the R18... but the 2006 and up SI's i've seen some people complaining about gear shifting etc. you should be fine!

I forgot to mention, since you're new to civics. The R18 is the engine in the EX model you're looking at. it also comes in the DX and LX models. The SI has a completely different engine.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:13 PM

Thanks. I am brand spanking new to Honda. I am yet to hear bad things about the car but I keep on trying to see if there are any issues that I should know about prior.
Thanks.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:54 PM

Honda's are excellent cars. I love foreign cars. These types of cars will last you all long time. I have a friend that her 98 honda civicLX has235,000 miles on it and still running. [sm=groupwave.gif]My98 Civic DX has 98,000 miles on it and the only thing that i had to do with my car was a water pump and new belts and mew brakes. When I filll up my car it only takes $32.00 to fill up and it lasts me 1.5 weeks and i go to skul2 nights a week and go to see my bf the rest of the week. [sm=massbounce.gif]My best thing foryou is to go with your guts and buythe civic because it will last you a LIFE TIME.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:40 PM
HCF Member

Go test drive the one your looking at and i guarantee your gonna love it. And your gonna keep on loving it everytime you have to fill up with gas

Old 05-09-2008, 02:48 AM

I just bought a 2007 leftover brandy new and love the car's performance and looks so far. very peppy, shifts easily (its an ex 5 speed manual). only driven it 70 miles so i havent had to fill up yet. the only issue is the seat which i find gives me an ache in the upper part of my back. the seats are sporty and i do have a back issue, but i wonder if i just need to get used to a different seat, thats all. (i'm coming from a neon which was very comfortable.) or maybe its just using a clutch again after driving an automatic for four yrs. whatever. good luck to you.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:03 PM

I have an 07 civic ex manual and wow. I couldnt have made a better choice when it comes to new cars. Runs great and the gas mileage is amazing. And mine went for about 19.5 also so i think your right on track there man. Hope you get it and enjoy it.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:27 PM
HCF Member

I have a 1996 civic ex with 101,000 miles - just had the timing belt and water pump replaced - runs like a new car - no oil leaks - they will last forever - that's the only problem though keeps you from buying a new car. LOL

Old 05-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Stinky Administrator

i have a 2007 lx auto sedan with a little over 5k miles been a great car and fun to drive 19.5k is typical pricing for a auto ex sedan. everyones sales are down right now i'd try for 19.5k out the door, the last trip i made i got 39.7 mpg all highway running 70-75 mph with the a/c off that was with 3 people and luggage

Old 05-09-2008, 04:24 PM
HCF Member

stick would be fun to drive. I don't know what your budget is but a 08 Si would probably go for around $1k-$2 more. It's a stick though.

If you both learn stick you might now go to auto ever again

Quick Reply: Purchasing New Civic--- any suggestions