General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Put me at ease, 1992 Civic DX Hatch 188,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:16 PM

Hello all,

So, I picked up the Civic on Saturday, and here is the report. The body is actually not in as bad of shape as I had thought, but here are the good and bad:

Bad:

speedometer and odometer do not work

it is an automatic, and when I try to take it out of park to D4 or D3 it has a helluva time trying to go below neutral

sometimes when I go to reverse, it says it's in reverse, when it's actually in neutral, unless I jiggle it in

Saturday night, after I drove it, and had it in park, it got pretty loud and a little dark smoke came out of the exhaust, but it has only happened once

Good:

it drives like a charm, I drove it through D.C. and the Washington Beltway and it was great.

I am bringing it back to the mechanic tomorrow to have him look at it, I went into buying this car with his word that everything would be fixed, and I'm a little peeved that I don't actually know how many miles are on it. But for $740 all said and done I guess I can't complain.

Joe

Old 11-15-2010, 05:41 AM
HCF Member

On my old prelude the speedo/odo didnt work. I never fixed it but I was told it to check the wires on the transmission to make sure its still plugged in or on the back of your guage cluster. Could be a 5 minute fix that would cost you nothing. As far as the transmission it could just be the linkage but worst case scenario may need new tranny. I guess keep an eye out on local forums for one. I see trannys for less than $200 around where i live.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 AM
Chubby Chaser

on the transmisson is a vehicle speed sensor. its replaceable.
you should have a check engine light on. pull the codes and post results

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1901557

Old 11-15-2010, 12:10 PM

Hey guys,

I brought it back to the mechanic who sold it too me. It was the wiring that had shorted by the transmission, I'm going to get it repaired on Saturday. Should the engine light not go off, I will post codes. Thanks for all the help!

Old 11-17-2010, 05:39 AM

Hey Guys,

Just a couple more questions, the seat belts are in the front are tangled and I was wondering if that was an easy fix? I assume I need to take off a door panel. Also, I haven't been able to get on to the classified part of the forum yet and was wondering, I need to replace the lifts that hold the hatch back up, and the rear wiper blade and arm, where can I find these on the cheap? Junk yards never seem to have parts for this car.

Thanks!
Joe

Old 11-19-2010, 05:54 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by joewp
Hey Guys,

Just a couple more questions, the seat belts are in the front are tangled and I was wondering if that was an easy fix? I assume I need to take off a door panel. Also, I haven't been able to get on to the classified part of the forum yet and was wondering, I need to replace the lifts that hold the hatch back up, and the rear wiper blade and arm, where can I find these on the cheap? Junk yards never seem to have parts for this car.

Thanks!
Joe

You mean the seat belts are twisted? That's too easy..follow the belt(s) to the bolt near the lower side of the seats..take the bolt off, twist the belt till str8.
I would say look for parts on ebay or ask my friend GOOGLE for help. Type "92+civic+hatchback+(enter part here)" in the shopping section of google.
That's how I do my search anyway.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:00 PM

Hey thanks, yeah the seat belt was too easy, sorry to waste time on that.

Joe

Old 11-27-2010, 02:21 PM

Even with the little problems that is a steal!!

Old 11-27-2010, 05:19 PM

Yeah I mean, it's driving quite well. It started over heating on Wednesday, which I think was because the mechanic who I bought it from didn't fill they coolant system up all the way. It seems like there is quite possibly an oil leak, but I'm not sure. It's certainly a good deal, but trying to get the mechanic who sold it to me to finish off the work he was doing is a true pain in the ***, and a stressful ordeal.

Joe

Old 11-30-2010, 04:57 PM

So here's another update... Brought it to the mechanic today and tomorrow will be replacing the radiator, spark plugs, and VSS and VSS cables. Once that is all done this puppy should be good to go!

Quick Reply: Put me at ease, 1992 Civic DX Hatch 188,000 miles