General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Put my money where?!...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:50 PM
HCF Member
Default Put my money where?!...

I have a problem and it's bugging the crap outta me. I have roughly $1900 to spend right now and i have only two choices. I can either spend it on an EG hatch (a car that would be mine when i graduate high school next year) or putting that money into my dad's '65 Malibu SS Convertible (its mine no matter what but it holds a lot of sentimental value).
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! Can someone give some input?

Malibu:

Been sitting for 16 years
reaaaallly rusty
needs 4 tires
engine=original also sitting for 16 yrs
automatic
tranny is half gone and sitting for 16 yrs
needs new soft top
new seats
fuel tank and lines probably

Do you think i could get it to run (move) with about $3k?

I just cant decide. My dad passed away when i was about 2 and its been sitting ever since.

Any questions about anything just ask.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:55 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.
However, I really do think all those repairs etc. would be well over $3k, maybe more like $12k, unless you plan on doing everything yourself, then $5k? (somewhat guessing) Also, I a huge fan of EG hatches, so my choice would be the hatch.

You have any pics of the Malibu? Post them up!

Old 05-02-2009, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

I vote for you to get the eg as a dd and wait until you have a moderately paying job and invest to fix up the malibu.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

thanks
I want to do some of the work but there is no way i can do it all, way too much, and I dont have any pics on hand but im goin to the storage garage tomarrow and i will then

Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ej6buddy
I vote for you to get the eg as a dd and wait until you have a moderately paying job and invest to fix up the malibu.
I already have a dd but it's actually my moms car (a 99 civic vp) and i have a minimum wage job, which alway sucks...haha

Old 05-02-2009, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

are you getting the hatch to fix up or is this for daily driving? if the hatch is to fix up then spend the money on the malibu to get it running since it holds sentimental value to you

Old 05-03-2009, 07:47 AM
HCF Member

well hopefully ill get lucky and i can do both because the hatch would be just something to fix (then a dd once i graduate next year) and i can just put money into the malibu for a few years.

Thanks everybody...

Old 05-03-2009, 01:58 PM
HCF Member

I say put the malibu in a nice safe place, like in a garage....because once cancer set's in its only going to get worse over time by letting it sit out side.
Dont get me wrong, i say dump the money in the malibu, but by the way you are describing it, its going to be around 15 even more to get it no the road.

Get the Eg, and dont let that malibu SS ever go.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well with the malibu depends on how bad the rust is... underbody and quarter panels.
and if the cars only been parked it might be in usable shape... first thing to do with the motor is give the fan a turn slightly if it turns the crank over your good!!!!!!!
pull the intake and make sure its all clear, also good idea to pull the carb also if the butterflies are open just to inspect for any rodent home inside the intake! but if the flaps are closed then just check the filter and replace it. then pull the spark plugs and fill them with transmition fluid, any i believe... fill them all the way up and let them sit for afew days and then turn the motor over afew times to fully cycle the motor slowly, this will clear out any rust or debri and oil the rings and help free them if they are stuck alittle. then inspect the wiring for any rodent chewing.
them obviously drop the gas tank drain it and remove the fuel line off the carb and blow the lines out, replace the mechanical fuel pump and gaskets. put it all back together afew gallons of good gas poured in the tank. then replace distributor cap/button/and points. change the oil filter and oil of course and also best to pull the distributor and prime the oil pump with a drill tool to prime the oil pressure every second of a dry bearing is bad just be sure you know how to put the distributor back on the right piston stroke! and check radiator fluid. doesnt have to be flushed just yet but after the motor is fired up and runs then i would definatly flush the old fluid out and new coolant added. or just fill it up with water just to test run the motor, and then drop the battery in and use it to turn the starter over afew seconds with the spark plugs STILL OUT and no plug wires on the distributor and once it blows out all of the tranny fluid and clear of debri then put the plugs in and wires on and pour some gas down the carb and give it a shot to fire it up.
if all is good she should fire up and then probably die, since mechanical fuel pumps suck to build pressure at first dont be discouraged just keep pouring in some gas and fire it back up again. took me impala about 3-5times to get it running on its own fuel.

then move onto the tranny fluid and filter change after you try to move the car with the tranny itself. then give it a drive up and down the driveway afew times to check brakes. if your lucky the brake lines havent rusted a hole in them and still full of fluid. but still best to flush all the old fluid out and replace any pads if needed.

a restore can be done cheap enough BUT its alot of work to do here and there since old fluid is bad if its contaminated from drawling moisture over the years or anything crawling into and openings.
just dont go out drop a battery in and try to fire it up. if the piston rings are stuck if you try to fire it up it could easily bust every oil ring on the pistons and really mess the motor up fast! or if a mouse chewed thru the wiring it could also short it out and catch fire or a mouse or mouse home inside the motor and can easily clog up the valves.
but with you checking and replacing parts right off the back will give you the BEST CHANCE for it to life again!!!!!!! it just takes ALOT of time and work to check all over and thats just to get it running and driving if the motor or trannys not already blown and then was parked.
my dad has a 56ford that wed like to restore. but its huge! old grain truck that my dad drove to school as a kid hauling tomatoes from the farm.
Name:  56fordBEFORE-02.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  68.7 KB
Name:  028.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  98.3 KB
even when i was a kid i used to climb around on the truck at my grandpas house. hell i dented in the roof myself from crawling all over it as a kid.LOL been parked for at least 30years! motors locked up and no brakes at all. i started messing with it last year and then got preoccupied. tho the motors still full of tranny fluid to hopefully brake the rings free. but if not just rebuild it or replace it with something with real power.

but anyways if you dont have alot of time just to get it running and driving then id definatly get the EG civic... and then just work on the old school little by little on a budget.... restoring a old school is no easy task. they body work takes ALOT OF WORK!!!!! at least if you want it done right. i did my 66impala about 10years ago and it took me about a year to get all the body work done and painted and paint isnt cheap either! my impala wasnt to bad of shape either just afew minor quarter panel places rusted out... alot of the time was just striping down the panels. i used some 2 kinds of sealer paint layers and then the paint and clear. paints not to bad for being 10years old but it does have a few small spots coming thru on the door and trunk corners.
so unless you have alot of time just get the one thats driving already

Old 05-03-2009, 04:48 PM
HCF Member

well good news is the engine should be the original small block but its not in the car, its been at my grandpa's for the whole time. The tranny is in the garage with the car as youll see in a min when i post picture. The rust isnt too bad on the surface thank god but idk about underneath...

Quick Reply: Put my money where?!...