General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Question about Rotating & Alignment(Tires).

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:09 PM
HCF Member
Default Question about Rotating & Alignment(Tires).

Got a 92 Civic LX(auto) with 189,000 miles.

Had an interesting question....Someone said in a forum one time that if you get new tires then you have to get an alignment. Now..if this is true then let's say my rear tires have some wear & tear but not enough to suggest it needs to be replaced AND they need to be aligned...BUT my front tires still look new.

I plan on going to Firestone to get an alignment tomorrow, but do you think they will suggest that I rotate my tires as well since my rear tires are more worn then my front tires?
Or will my alignment be good just the way the tires are?

Will the alignment still be good if I rotate them myself AFTER the alignment?

I don't wanna spend any extra money on a rotation that's not really needed when I can do it myself.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mecca8383
Got a 92 Civic LX(auto) with 189,000 miles.

Had an interesting question....Someone said in a forum one time that if you get new tires then you have to get an alignment. Now..if this is true then let's say my rear tires have some wear & tear but not enough to suggest it needs to be replaced AND they need to be aligned...BUT my front tires still look new.

I plan on going to Firestone to get an alignment tomorrow, but do you think they will suggest that I rotate my tires as well since my rear tires are more worn then my front tires?
Or will my alignment be good just the way the tires are?

Will the alignment still be good if I rotate them myself AFTER the alignment?

I don't wanna spend any extra money on a rotation that's not really needed when I can do it myself.
Generally, yes, you should get an alignment after putting on new tires. At the very least check it to be sure it's within spec, if it is then you don't have to touch it...

If your tires in the rear are more worn than the front ones, the shop will not suggest rotating. The front tires will wear faster therefore you'll want the tires with more tread up front. You know to rotate them when the wear of the front tires has less tread than the rear.

What is your reason for going to get an alignment in the first place? If you have any reason to believe your alignment is out of spec, some shops have skid plates you can simply drive over and they will tell you if you need an alignment or not, for free.

Rotating the tires has no effect on the alignment itself. The point of rotating your tires is to maintain even and similar wear on all 4 tires and get the max life out of them.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:15 PM
HCF Member

Well I feel I need an alignment because over the last 2-3 months I been taking my Rear Trailing Arms off in an attempt to replace my Trailing Arm Bushings...Took off the arms 3 times...2 times I failed to get the bushings in & gave up till I came up with other methods & ways...So I put the arms back & I drive like that for weeks & it seem like my rear alignment was off due to that.. I wasn't gonna get an alignment till I replaced the bushings....but I replaced them eventually(couple weeks ago).
I just brought my rear tires about 3000 miles ago(7 months ago) & they're wearing pretty fast on the inside thread..it's about 1/2 way gone. I see no other kind of wear on my rear tires.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:36 AM

Ok yeah you definitely need an alignment, probably just rear toe though unless you've messed with the front suspension.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:38 AM
HCF Member

i remember for front drive cars usually it's better to have newer tires in front too