General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Question on selling my Civic.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Default Question on selling my Civic.

So, unfortunately the time has come that I have to sell my Civic. I'm not trying to sell it on here so this isn't a classified.

I basically came up with the price by looking up the blue book value and then checking the same model and year on craiglist. It's an 2004 EX sedan with only 56K miles on it. I thought a good and fair price was $9,000. Engine-wise it's great and needs no work and I kept up with the maintenance schedule. The problem came when my friend who wants to buy it thinks I might be over-charging. Other than a some scuffs on the bumper and a couple of stone flecks on the roof the body is in good condition, no dents or rust. Honestly, I kind of thought 9K was on the lower end of what I could get if I just threw it up on craigslist myself. I guess I'm looking for opinions on the price? I kind of thought i was pretty much inline with that model, year and mileage.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 PM

It's a 7 year old car, but it does have low mileage. I'd say the price is about right.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

Around here, that's a steal of a price.
But people treat Honda like gold because of the fuel economy.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:45 AM

The price seems reasonable and you may have a little bit of room to adjust it down if you don't get any bites.

I say list it and see what interest people have in your 2004 Honda Civic EX Sedan (I have the same car with 140K miles). If you own this out right (title in hand) and you don't have to sell this ASAP then you have a bit more flexibility then most people. If this is the case then you can test the market and if it sells quickly then you had it priced correctly. If not then lower it and see if that drums up interest.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:57 PM
HCF Member

you said that the friend who thinks the price is high also is interested in buying it? Perhaps he is just trying to haggle you down. I think thats a fair price. Tell him if he doesn't want it for 9k, then look elsewhere. Post it up on CL!

Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Default Selling Civic

I think you might wanna charge 8K. Cos, if the new owner puts another 56K miles on it, he will probably have to replace the battery, alternator, tires, timing belt, water pump and get some work done on brakes pads, rotors.
If your expectations are less, he may have some money to set aside for these repairs.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:24 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by blue9801
I think you might wanna charge 8K. Cos, if the new owner puts another 56K miles on it, he will probably have to replace the battery, alternator, tires, timing belt, water pump and get some work done on brakes pads, rotors.
If your expectations are less, he may have some money to set aside for these repairs.
So you want him to lower the price so the new owner can do work on the car 4 years down the road? Wouldn't it make more sense for the new owner to buy a car they can afford to repair when it needs it than to make a current owner pay for repairs that aren't needed?
Used cars are sold "As Is".
But I like your logic. I will try that at the dealer next time. "This car will depreciate when I drive it off the lot, and it will need new tires and brakes in about 50K so I'd like you to drop the price about $5k to cover all that."
I wish it could work like that.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
So you want him to lower the price so the new owner can do work on the car 4 years down the road? Wouldn't it make more sense for the new owner to buy a car they can afford to repair when it needs it than to make a current owner pay for repairs that aren't needed?
Used cars are sold "As Is".
But I like your logic. I will try that at the dealer next time. "This car will depreciate when I drive it off the lot, and it will need new tires and brakes in about 50K so I'd like you to drop the price about $5k to cover all that."
I wish it could work like that.
I believe a seller will usually adjust his price by 5 6% once he finds a genuine buyer. Buyer needs to justify asking for 10 12% so he can get a minimum 5 6 % reduction.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:19 AM

I'm not sure that makes sense? Maintenance on a car is a given no matter what the age or mileage. Unless there is something that needs immediate attention it's not typical to give people discounts or eat the cost myself of the vehicles future routine maintenance. The fact that all those things described above are not needed I don't think I should have to subsidize a vehicle I don't own anymore because it will eventually need stuff done. That's sort of why it's valued a lot lower than a brand new car.

Either way we settled on a price.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

I believe a seller will usually adjust his price by 5 6% once he finds a genuine buyer. Buyer needs to justify asking for 10 12% so he can get a minimum 5 6 % reduction.
I understand that, but you are saying he should lower the price before negotiations ever begin to account for future maintenance. Makes no sense to me.