General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Questions about a b16 swap into a 93ex civic with a p28

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:18 PM
HCF Member
Default Questions about a b16 swap into a 93ex civic with a p28

So i have a 93 ex with a b16 the previous owner installed. Its not ready to drive yet but i have been going through trying to check his work I have many questions especially related to the engine wiring harness and the ecu i know the ecu is stock and i assume the wiring harness is as well. I apologize if this topic has already been covered i couldn't find the answers i am looking for when i searched. I know there are multiple sensors that the b16 has that the D16 didn't and a couple that the D16 had that the B16 doesn't. I have basically no knowledge on how a swap like this would normally be done but from what I can see some pretty important things may have been overlooked. BTW if any one who is experienced with this swap would be willing to talk to me over the phone i could pm you my number because i have a lot of questions, i would really appreciate that.

After cross referencing wiring diagrams for both the engine wiring harness and the engine this is what I have learned, the following sensors or switches which are on the b16 were not on the d16, Crankshaft Seed Fluctuation, Power Steering Pressure Switch, HO2S Sensor, Knock Sensor, VTEC Solenoid Valve, and VTEC Pressure Switch I may have overlooked some or not realized that it is just under a different name. Here is what was on the D16 but not the B16, Oil pressure Switch B, Spool Solenoid Valve, TDC/Crank/CYL. How do these differences affect the ecu/engine.

After looking at what I have connected and what I don't this is what I found,

1. Purge Control Solenoid Valve does not seem to be on the engine but the harness is there
2.The Oil Pressure Switch A is connected but the wire just goes to a ground?What?,
3.The TDC/Crank/CYl Sensor is there connected to the engine even though the b16 doesn't have that. can someone tell me what that is, how that works
4.I don't see the Spool Solenoid harness which I would assume should be disconnected since the b16 doesn't have that, I do have a blue wire that comes out of the same conduit as the coolant temperature sending unit, that is the only single wire that i don't know what its for
5.the only plugs on the engine that i can see that don't have a plug plugged (wow I don't know how to word that without sounding stupid) into them is the knock sensor, VTEC Sensor and VTEC Solenoid Valve, I would think I would see more.
6. I don't see wires for the oil pressure switch B

Okay Hopefully I haven't forgot anything, if there are some good links that will help me out could you post them I looked haven't found anything to answer my specific questions. I was told that I may want to get a different ecu that will read all the sensors (like vtec etc.) what do you guys think, I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this stuff, out so if you guys could give me help I would appreciate it. Any suggestions are appreciated. If you want pics say what you want to see and ill post them asap.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

As you know, I don't have answers to most of your questions, but I may be able to help with a few points.

1) The B16a2 does have the TDC/Crank/CYL sensors in the distributor, similar to those of the D16Z6 distributor.

2) I believe the D16Z6 Spool Solenoid Valve may be equivalent to the B16a2 VTEC solenoid valve.

3) I believe the D16Z6 oil pressure switch B may be equivalent to the B16a2 VTEC oil pressure switch.

4) The D16Z6 has a primary heated O2 sensor whereas the B16a2 has both primary and secondary heated O2 sensors. The secondary sensor unique to B16a2 has an emissions function.

5) Both the B16a2 and D16Z6 engines have a Purge Control Solenoid Valve as part of their evaporative emission systems.

Last edited by RonJ; 01-27-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
HCF Member

I was wondering if that was the case for your 2nd point that makes sense, do you know where a diagram of the ecu harnesses is, like where it shows what each pin on the ecu is for

Old 01-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I added an additional point about the O2 sensor in my previous post.

In addition, the 93 EX D16Z6 had a power steering pressure switch (see diagram below).

The ECU pin outs for the D16Z6 and B16a2 engines can be found in the final electrical chapters of 96-00 and 92-95 manuals (see link in my signature).

Name:  picture_1917.jpg
Views: 4696
Size:  117.0 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 01-27-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

Alright, do you know what vehicle the motor came out of? is it out of the 99-00 civic SI or is the EDM equivilent B16a2? And to further answer this question, did it come with the Y21 transmission? What ecu are you currently running. Did you grab the harness that goes with the b16a2 because it plugs into the system?

I don't really have time right now, but this might help for now, I'll help later though: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2239971

Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
HCF Member

thanks ej it was out of the previous owners 99si hatch, i don't know about the transmission i know he put in a spoon lsd kit if that helps at all, im running a bone stock p28, i know it should be chipped and stuff but i want to wait to do that before i know for example if i even want to stick with that ecu, if possible i would like to stick with that but if it would be better not to i will do whatever you guys suggest, i am not sure what you meant by your last question, sorry i didn't do the swap so i am not really sure about everything, i am takin a look at your link right now

EDIT: This is little off topic but i got the resistor for my injectors, that got rid of code 16 now i have 10 IAT i know the correct harness is plugged in and i know that I should check the wiring and if that is fine than it's probly the sensor...is that correct... an other suggestions, 21 VTEC Solenoid should turn off once i wire that in, 19 looks like i need a 5 speed ecu... but when i send it to phearable is there any way he could disable that so i don't have to get a new one. Other than that i still need to wire in the knock sensor, vtec switch, and look into why oil pressure switch a is wired to a ground... does that make sense to anyone, so my only real question now is think i know where the purge control solenoid valve should be but it's not there, maybe i am lookin in the wrong spot does anyone have a picture of it installed so i can make sure i actually don't have it, I thought it should be under the fuel rail, can those be removed or something i don't understand why i don't seem to have it.

Last edited by joelmatt89; 01-28-2009 at 02:28 PM.