General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Questions about Civic Type R '08 Front/Rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Default Questions about Civic Type R '08 Front/Rear

Hey guys, I'm a complete car novice... in fact, I don't even have a car quite yet but while I'm deciding on what to buy I had several questions I was hoping someone could possibly answer which would help me decide.

My questions reference this picture, so I'll just post it here:

1) How much would it cost (how much for parts, and how much for labor) to modify a 2008 Civic Si Sedan to have the front and rear (the tail lights, spoiler, and front lights... nothing else is different as far as I can tell, am I wrong?) of a Civic Type R as pictured above?
2) Where would I obtain such parts? Would an auto shop be able to do it?
3) Would it be possible to install the parts myself or is it too complicated?

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to answer my questions... I really know nothing so even having one of my questions answered would really help.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:39 AM
Default RE: Questions about Civic Type R '08 Front/Rear

1) JDM conversion of a 2008 Sedan (any sedan) costs around $4000 or so for parts, plus install & paint.

This includes:
Front fenders
hood
Front grille
Front Bumper
Headlights
Radiator shroud
Rear taillights
trunk

Add to that the following for a Type R look-a-like:
CTR Wing
CTR Rear bumper
CTR front lip
CTR side skirts
CTR Wheels
$4000

Beyond that, Si v Type R, the type R has a different exhaust, suspension, interior, brakes, intake and a whole bunch of engine internals

2) There's several online places (procivic comes to mind) that can get you the parts to do a JDM conversion.

3) you can install them yourself, as it's a direct swap for the most part, but it is recommended to get a body shop to help you out lining up the panels.

There's quite a few guys who have done a JDM conversion or a CDM (Acura CSX) conversion over on 8thcivic.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:36 PM

I see, thanks a lot... I checked out Pro Civic and they do have a conversion kit but I can't really tell if it has everything needed that you describe...
"The front conversion includes the hood, front bumper, both headlights, both fenders (with clear JDM side markers included), the front grille (with red emblem), and mesh inserts for the front bumper. The rear conversion includes the rear bumper and rear diffuser (the aerodynamic plastic piece underneath the rear bumper)."
It sounds like it's missing the tail lights among quite a few other things... I e-mailed them about that, but what about things like the wing? I don't care too much about the wheels or even the other "CTR" stuff really (though to be honest I bet if I saw a picture of a car with all that and one without it I would prefer the fully converted one... haha), the main thing for me is the rear (esp. the tail lights) and to a lesser degree the front (the front lights mainly, and anything else needed to put those in I guess)... but how do you think I could obtain the CTR stuff if I wanted to? Would I have to buy another kit, or could I buy everything separately (which would be better I suppose, as I could just get the wing)?
Sorry for bombarding you with questions haha, and thanks again very much for the answers.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

Yea justgo up to Canada and buy the CSX type S from Acura, its the U.S. civic Si with the body of the JDM civic, hell if i knew they had that body style up there befor i would bought that and not my LX.
Name:  CSX1.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  49.9 KB
Name:  CSX2.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  53.5 KB

Old 03-03-2008, 09:27 PM
HCF Member

That looks weird seeing a civic as an acura. Whats it called an Acura Civic?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:53 AM
HCF Member

Its called the Acura CSX as the base model, and the Acura CSX TypeS as the Si.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:06 AM

ORIGINAL: SPLAT

Yea justgo up to Canada and buy the CSX type S from Acura, its the U.S. civic Si with the body of the JDM civic, hell if i knew they had that body style up there befor i would bought that and not my LX.

of course too bad you couldn't just drive it into the states. You'd have to import it, which means you'd have to buy at least 20 of them to sacrifice for crash testing to ensure that it meets US safety standards.

Granted, Canada is an alternate source for the JDM look body parts, though it's equally as expensive as getting them from japan.

There is a difference between the JDM civic and the CDM Acura CSX though. Both the hood and front bumper have a crease mark running the length of the front to stay with the general acura pointy style. You can't really see it in those pictures, but it's there.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:10 AM

ORIGINAL: GBKeroberos

I see, thanks a lot... I checked out Pro Civic and they do have a conversion kit but I can't really tell if it has everything needed that you describe...
"The front conversion includes the hood, front bumper, both headlights, both fenders (with clear JDM side markers included), the front grille (with red emblem), and mesh inserts for the front bumper. The rear conversion includes the rear bumper and rear diffuser (the aerodynamic plastic piece underneath the rear bumper)."
It sounds like it's missing the tail lights among quite a few other things... I e-mailed them about that, but what about things like the wing? I don't care too much about the wheels or even the other "CTR" stuff really (though to be honest I bet if I saw a picture of a car with all that and one without it I would prefer the fully converted one... haha), the main thing for me is the rear (esp. the tail lights) and to a lesser degree the front (the front lights mainly, and anything else needed to put those in I guess)... but how do you think I could obtain the CTR stuff if I wanted to? Would I have to buy another kit, or could I buy everything separately (which would be better I suppose, as I could just get the wing)?
Sorry for bombarding you with questions haha, and thanks again very much for the answers.
The procivic front conversion is missing the radiator shroud (black plastic piece right at front of car when hood is open). This piece is slightly different from the US version, and if you want a seamless conversion, you'll need the appropriate piece. If you don't mind slightly modifying your USDM one, you can use it, but it leaves a bit of a gap at the front.

The procivic rear conversion is just to the JDM rear bumper, it does not include the taillight conversion.

You can find replica and legitimate CTR wings at various JDM source sites (passwordjdm etc).

The wheels are probably the most expensive part at about $2000 for a set of 4.