General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Questions about new Civic EX / SI

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Default Questions about new Civic EX / SI

I am thinking about buying a new Civic EX or Si Coupe. I currently drive a S197 Mustang GT (5-speed manual) and wanted something to drive in the winter that wasn't going to bore me to death, but has to handle light snow (3"-4") without snow tires or a laundry list of modifications. I do not plan to modify the Civic.

I noticed Honda's website states the base Civics have limited slip differentials but then NEVER seems to mention it again inside the technical details. However, Honda plasters info about the helical LSD on all the Si pages (Torsen-style differential from what I recall due to the helical cut gears).

1). So which is it? Do all the Civics come with LSD's or just the Si?

2). How well does the Si Coupe handle light snow with the stock tires?

3). What kind of real-world gas mileage figures is everyone getting with their EX or Si?

4). Could I safely use 87 octane in the Si? I know the website says to use Premium, but I run 87 octane in everything including the Stang.

5). Does the EX and Si both come with MP3-CD players? The website mentions a $600+ optional MP3 player but then states they all come with MP3 CD capability...

6). How reliable are the Civics? Do I need to take it back to the dealership every X miles/months or can I just change the basic fluids every so often like a Ford and expect years of reliable operation?

7). Why doesn't the Si have optional foglights while the EX has a $319 option?

The Civic really impressed me with its list of features. The new styling and interior really caught my attention. I was looking at the Focus and even the Mazda3, but the Civic seems to blow them away completely and isn't too expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:26 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Questions about new Civic EX / SI

1. Just the SI

3. at least 30 mpg depending on how you drive.

6. possibly one of the most reliable cars ever built. EVER.

the Si is much more perforance oriented as the EX is more luxury. tried to help where i could bro good luck with ur research.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:29 AM

What kind of luxury items does the EX have that aren't found on the Si?

Old 07-24-2007, 12:30 PM
HCF Member

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help,but for question #6, both of my parent's have owned several different syles of Mustangs and they were always in and out of the shop. If you like your Mustang for the reliability, you will fall in love with any civic. I own an 05 EX Special Edition and it has the 6 disc mp3 in dash changer. I'm not sure if the 07 comes with it, but I have heard it does. The SI is pretty quick and has great handling, even in the snow.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:44 PM

2. the si stock tires are nice, they should handle snow fine

4. the Si uses a different engine than the EX, it's a K20 engine, you'd have to use premium gas.. 91 or higher.

5. I'm pretty sure the EX and Si have the exact same players. The mp3 thing, as far as I can tell, would just rip the Cd's you have and put them on a HD for you. Seems to be what it is anwyay.

The Si and Ex, in terms of luxury, are almost the exact same thing. The Si's options are more racing oriented tho.. racing seats, aluminum pedals, aluminum shifter, tachometer, etc.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:20 PM

^ everything the EX has the Si has. it either the Si item are the same orit better than the EX itemCrayzieman already listem some examples

Old 07-24-2007, 07:02 PM

Are there any factory HID options available for the Si, or at least aftermarket HIDs that are FMVSS 108 compliant?

What can I do about the lack of foglights for the Si? They didn't show up as factory options.

How smooth is the 6-speed manual, and does it have a hydraulic clutch?

Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 AM
HCF Member

just buy the si, it's fast, fun, comfortable, and definitely way more reliable than most cars out on the market today

i'm pretty sure you can get the same foglights with the si, just talk to the dealership. it's not like the si has a different front end, just an optional lip

i'm pretty sure you can find HIDa pretty easily

i hear that the manual is very smooth, but the brake is a little sensitive, but you should get used to it pretty easily. yes, hydraulic clutch i'm pretty sure, it is a k20

Old 07-25-2007, 05:55 AM

What would happen if I used 87 octane gas? Has anyone tried this in the Si?

Does the K20 engine use a timing chain or timing belt?

Old 07-25-2007, 06:29 AM
HCF Member

im positive the si has a hydraulic clutch. my mechanic told me i have one so i dont see why a newer better car wouldnt have one.

Quick Reply: Questions about new Civic EX / SI