General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

quick question about rear drums

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 06:16 AM
HCF Member
Default quick question about rear drums

im looking to buy some new rear drums because mine are pretty rusted, I was just wondering if anyone one could give me a site where I could find some and also are the right and left rear drums the same because one site had them forsale but they only had the right rear drum and no left rear drum lol

thanks for the help

Old 11-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: quick question about rear drums

They are the same left and right.Just go to any localauto parts store. You shouldinstall new shoes when you replace the drum because the old shoes will have a wear pattern matching the old drum.

There can be a lot of rust on the outside and it will still work fine.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:57 AM
HCF Member

Ya is the rust on the outside of them? If so just spend some time sanding it down and repainting it. There is a DIY on how to do it in the DIY section. That part is always going to get rust on it.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:16 AM

Also, if the drums are rusted on the inside (which the shouldnt be, unless you had the car sitting for a long while), or you have some sort of abnormal wear in there, you might be able to just get the drums turned. Take them to a parts store and ask them to take a look. If the technician deems that there's enough material left on the drum, he'll just put them on a lathe and put a new wear surface them. Much cheaper than replacing drums.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:59 AM
HCF Member

im not worried to much about spending the money its only about 100 bucks for a new pair of them so I figured Id just get new ones becuase mine are pretty bad

Old 11-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well MOST likely they arent realy rusted to bad.... what the eyesoar is thier protective coating is seperating.... its ALOT CHEAPER if you use a power drill and a wire brush on it........ and have at it..... when i did mine i used a bench wire grinder and cleaned ALL the protective stock layer off and then used some CALIPER paint.... they still look great to this day!
replacing them is easier..... BUT its cheaper to spend about an hour or two and repaint them to as good as new....

just a few hours and like 20bucks or less of materials,
cause if you replace the drums you should replace the brake pads as well, ALSO a good idea to replace the springs inside thier as well as clean up and grease the adjusters.

just remember to leave your parking brake off... then find the right fine thread bolt to screw into the drums two bolt holes and crank em down to push the drum off.
just remember to take off the parking brake.LOL i forgot and the ebrake being engaged held the drum inplace and riped the threads outta the drum which will basicaly be murder to get them off next time

Old 11-23-2007, 08:20 AM

$100 for 2 drums???? I can sell you a set of shoes, 2 wheel cylinders, hardware kit and 2 drums for $50. But hey, it's your money.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:27 AM

A wire brush, a little RustOleum, and ***BAM*** Good as new.