General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Real Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:13 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Real Gas Mileage

ORIGINAL: Gene J

Here are links to the logfile pages of my '06 LX Sedan with manual tranny. The local Honda dealer says that most of the folks who come in with auto trannies, that do mostly city driving, get in the 28-30 range. I do a lot of coasting and drafting, and try to use the brake as little as possible. Most of the time I am slowed down to under 25 MPH before I touch the brakes. When in gas conservation mode I try to upshift at about 1700 RPM. I am averaging about 36 MPG overall.
I'm not knocking ya for your efforts in the least. In fact, I find it quite admirable to have the discipline to keep at it every fill up.

However, that's just a little too ****-retentive for me - mostly because I usually just fill up the car when I need gas and don't worry about it. It's going to take what it's going to take, and the quick math in my head about miles travelled vs. gallons pumped in is good enough for me.

Good on ya for finding something that works for you, and sticking with it though.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:40 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Real Gas Mileage

I posted a new thread elsewhere regarding my new 2007 Honda Civic EX I got last week and being disapointed with the first tank of Gas. I think it is due to my driving habits, as with my old car I know I would accelerate too fast from a stop. I figure for the first 11 gallons I used in my new Car, I got about 24 MPG.

I was all excited when I saw those 30 MPG City and 40 MPG Highway numbers. I'm getting married soon, this is my first ever new car, and I wanted something reliable and with really good gas milegae for us. I'm trying to improve my driving habits on the second tank of Gas I'm on now. Hopefully I can get some better numbers.

Does MPG improve after that 1000 mile break in peroid?