General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Really in need of help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Default Really in need of help.

This may not be in the right forum, and may tend to be on the long side, but I will try to include any information needed to get some insight and opinions before I go forth with what I am intending to do.

My goal is turn my civic not quite into a "race" car, but a car with the ability to be a competitive vehicle, yet still street legal, and not quite and not quite an everyday driver, but if need be, still have the ability to race a few good races.

Now my dilemma is that I have two different civics. I have a 94 civic cx hatch, with the standard 1.5 motor with well over 230,000 miles on it. I also have a 99 civic si coupe, with the standard 1.6 vtec, and around 105,000 miles on it. Now, both cars have taken their fair beatings since I have owned them and well before, and both are showing signs of that wear. Both need work either way, both body work, and the hatch has the crappy engine, and the vtec in the coupe must have a cracked head of a bad valve seal somewhere.

My issue is that, while I would like to be able to fix up both cars and keep them as projects, I can only afford to have one as a project and the other as an everyday driver.

My question is, whether I should make the hatch the project, or the si coupe. Which has more potential with the qualifications I listed, which would end up a better vehicle, and which car would be more easily compatible to find parts available to use to rebuild the car? At the same time then, any input on which engine is the best engine to use for the specific vehicle I would be using, as well as turbo modifications, as in size, brand, output, eccetera, that would work best with the engine that I should use.

I appreciate any type of help anyone can offer as well, I have viable knowledge of parts and a somewhat mechanical interest, so you don't have to dumb things up for me, but at the same time I am not a car genius or anything, so I do not assume everything. Thank you all very much.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Default RE: Really in need of help.

IMO i would redo the si. but thats just me.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:13 PM
HCF Member

the si is a better starting platform

Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 PM

Thank you for input, however, some reasons and or answers to my other questions would be helpful as well. But thank you for what you offered.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 PM
HCF Member

I'd restore the CX for a reliable daily driver that gets good mileage. Then I'dgo nuts with building the Si.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:13 PM

Ok, thank you for all your input. Is there any other advice that anyone can give me? Perhaps even pertaining to the other questions i had asked as well?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

well the 99 would have parts that are easily to find, and for the turbo questions, theres a huge turbo section and engine section on this website. Read as much as you can from there.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:32 PM

Thank you, any other opinions that could be helpful as to what I should do with my vehicles in regards to a good decision?

Old 05-25-2008, 02:22 PM
HCF Member

I'd get a really nice alarm for the Si first, I hear stories of them getting stolen everyday

Old 05-25-2008, 04:10 PM
HCF Member

If you want to go racing-ish, then just forget about these two cars and get a performance car... IMHO, it's kinda hard to get civic more ponnies than it already has...

Quick Reply: Really in need of help.