General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Reaper's restoration project (56k... take a break)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: Reaper's restoration project

ORIGINAL: my94civic

i think if the needle was lit up enough, yes

get a dummy one to play around with, to know for sure, before you ruin yours
yeah, I plan on getting a manual guage cluster (so the guages don't say I'm in park driving down the highway at 55mph lol) when I eventually do my engine swap, so I figured I'd just try to tint one of the guages I'll have two of (like the tach).

But I'm not really worried about how well lit up the needle is.... I won't be tinting the needles, just the numbers. But I'm having second thoughts about the whole idea... it'll look cool, but I'm pretty sure it won't pass inspection lol

Old 01-03-2008, 03:45 PM

oh now i understand, i was a little drunk when i was reading it, and it was at 3am last night, i thought you were going to tint the front glass... which might also look kool, but i want me some of those gauges let me know how it goes, with some pics i might try it

Old 01-04-2008, 12:06 AM
HCF Member

Yay for Armor For Sleep.

What's with the cardboard?

How come no pictures of the actual car yet?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: WhiteRabbit1021

Yay for Armor For Sleep.

What's with the cardboard?

How come no pictures of the actual car yet?
The cardboard was basically just to see how it would look, if it would be in the way of anything, how much metal it would take, etc. I haven't gotten around to making the actual thing yet (and I still have to find a place that carries sheets of aluminum around here). It should only take an hour or so to bend the metal and stick it on there (I'll either use rivets/screws or 3m double-sided tape). Also, I need to get two more switches before I make the box.

I'll see if I can't get some pics of the car tomorrow (areas that need fixed and everything).... it's pretty dark out or I'd do it right now.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Super Cereal Admin

here's some pics that I happen to have on my computer:

Rust repair:
Name:  damage3.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  54.0 KB
Name:  damage1.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  36.2 KB

Guage cluster
Name:  guagecluster.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  22.7 KB
(you can see all the holes that need filled in the bezel, too... )

and if anybody's wondering, the holes in the bezel are from my old bezel trim:
Name:  oldguages.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  29.0 KB
anybody want to buy the trim kit?
(seriously, if anybody's interested, PM me)

Old 01-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well you can always just swap the right side gauges on the cluster... that way you can keep the milage true..

but if ya want a replacement bezel ill sell ya mine..... a DX and EX cluster bezels are the same and i used my DX bezel when i replaced my speedo.... cause if ya sell that ring thing ya might want to just keep it on the bezel.
tho i would do the trany swap
and for the cluster... well you know you could just unplug the indicator lights right

Old 01-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Super Cereal Admin

well I am doing the transmission swap... it's just now it'll be in the form of a 5-speed H22 swap... I figured it'd be cheaper than the trans swap/turbo project and make (a little) more power anyway.

And I was just planning on swapping out the fuel/temp guage... I was going to test the whole tinting thing on the spare speedo or tach I'd have. I might be interested in your spare bezel, it depends on what the guages come with when I order mine off ebay.

and what do you mean with the indicator lights?

*also, page 1 was updated... I separated the stuff into 3 categories (Restoration, Appearance, Swap) to make it easier to figure out... and added dates of when I hope to have the stuff done (on a few things... most just have a season or month lol)

Old 01-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you said on your cluster you dont want to see it saying PARKED all the time.... they have thier own wire plug on the rear of the cluster for them.... cannt remember what color the plug was on my 99 but im preaty sure a 92-95 should be the same way.....
only downfall is you still see the white indicator lettering between the gauges.....

Old 01-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Super Cereal Admin

oh, okay... I understand now lol

but that gives me an idea... I wonder if I couldn't cut the boxes out and wire up some new indicator lights.... let's see here... I'd have 7 holes...

1 (P) - vtec (just because)
2 (R) - interior neons on (because I can lol)
3 (N) - underlights on (don't you hate it when you forget they're on and you drive past a co? lol)
4 (D) - halos on (I forget to turn mine off half the time)
5 (3) \
6 (2) - shift lights?
7 (1) /

anybody know how to make an LED light up at a certain rpm? It'd be nice to have a 3-stage shift light (7200 rpm (redline on an H22) = red, 6700rpm = yellow, 5700rpm = green)... addiction, any ideas on how to do it?

Old 01-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Stinky Administrator

nice project bro can't wait to see the finished product, p.s. keep that paint clean and don't let it get cold or freeze

Quick Reply: Reaper's restoration project (56k... take a break)