General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

redlining

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:40 AM
Default redlining

how bad is it for ur car to redline......i dont do it all the time it usually happenes in second... goes by real fast (then im at 120kph ) but if redlined it a few times racing.....

Old 06-26-2007, 02:44 AM
Default RE: redlining

i dont imagine its amazingly good redlining it, but better that than if the redline was not there, as far as doing it while you are racing, not good, change gear and mash da gas

Old 06-26-2007, 02:47 AM
HCF Member

I was taught to shift really early are you suppose to shift differently while racing?

Old 06-26-2007, 05:05 AM
gwl
HCF Member

The higher the RPM equals more wear on your engine.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:23 AM

When u race yeah u shift late. and u really use about 2 gears which is 1st and 2nd and maybe 3rd but that depend on the distance butu usually use1st and 2nd gear the most. and yeah its bad casue it casue a lot of strain on the engine/transmission

Old 06-26-2007, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

here is an example of what your cars motor is doing when you are driving and an occasional redline occurs... take a paper clip (a good thick one) undo it to where it is straight... now bend it back and forth slightly like you are shifting normally...(it will bend back and forth slightly for a long *** time)... now bend it to where ends meet (like redline) after so many it will break... its the same problem w/ motors. i hope that might have helped but i am a little confused on my explaination lol

Old 06-26-2007, 03:43 PM
HCF Member

when you redline, it's like playing with fire, someday you will get burnt!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: phsballer123

here is an example of what your cars motor is doing when you are driving and an occasional redline occurs... take a paper clip (a good thick one) undo it to where it is straight... now bend it back and forth slightly like you are shifting normally...(it will bend back and forth slightly for a long *** time)... now bend it to where ends meet (like redline) after so many it will break... its the same problem w/ motors. i hope that might have helped but i am a little confused on my explaination lol
That's a really good analogy

Anyway, does your car have a rev-limiter? If so, for the most part, it's safe to hit the limiter (as opposed to going past redline) every once in a while. Usually the limiters are placed way before indicated redline (on my z6, the limit's around 6600, but the indicated redline's 7200). But don't do it every chance you get; like everyone else has said, the higher the rpms, the more wear on your engine.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 PM
HCF Member

As long as youve got oil in there it aint too bad. Hondas are high revving engines, sometimes when I get on it I take it as high as 9,000RPMS. Like I said, hondas are meant to rev high, so its not like youre going to blow your motor up if you hit the red every so often.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

The D15B7 has a redline at 6500 RPM and a rev limiter at about 7000 RPM. The engine can rev much higher, as long as it's balanced and the valvetrain can handle it. Usually the redline is so low because going higher there is usually a problem with vibration in the Honda engine. Also, power drops off at the redline anyway, so when you hit it you upshift. Really, though, you may not even need to stretch it into the redline if the power drops off before hitting the redline. I remember hitting 6500 RPM all the time when I had my Civic (it was an automatic), and the engine didn't have a problem with it. Just remember that the engine will wear exponentially faster when you push it that last 1000 RPMs before the red.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl8T9KFgjWc shows what a Honda B Series can do when you eliminate vibration, and what happens when you take a factory engine past the rev limiter.

Quick Reply: redlining