General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Remote Start

Old 12-08-2007, 08:29 AM
HCF Member
Default Remote Start

I bought my 97 Civic EX sedan a few years ago. It had an aftermarket stereo so the keyless entry no longer worked.
I noticed there was a little black antenna on the windshield. I asked my friend about it and he said it was for a satellite radio.

OK, now a few years later winter is hitting and I finally decided to look into a remote start.
I went to Circuit City's website and noticed that the picture of the remote start had a little antenna just like in my car.
I drove to Circuit City and they took a look. Lo & Behold, I have a Remote Start/Keyless Entry already installed,I just needed the remote.

The remote was $49 and $30 for a little rewiring and I now have a Remote Start/Keyless Entry.

Needless to say, I am HAPPY!

Got to try it out last night. I was in Whole Foods Market eating dinner. A few minutes before I left I remotely started my car. When I got out to there the car was nice & warm!

Old 12-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Default RE: Remote Start

That's great! Remote starters are a wonderful convenience....not only for cold weather in the winter, but for hot/humid weather during the summer as well.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:51 PM
HCF Member

Can you give us DIY of that?

Old 12-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

diy info.LOL he just bought a remote control for the system he didnt know was already instaled. LMFAO

but thats always a good find!

i realy want one for my EG but money is just to tight to spend that kinda cash on it just yet..... i have alittle cash but not to much free....

Old 12-08-2007, 01:40 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civic_burns_all

Can you give us DIY of that?
Here are the four simple steps. (sorry, I didn't take any pictures)
Moderators, feel free to make a sticky out of this.

[ol][*]Buy used car with little black antenna mounted on windshield[*]Ignore friend who says it's for Satellite radio[*]Go to Circuit City and ask them what the antenna is for. They will check it out for free.[*]Pay for new remote.[/ol]

Old 12-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

LMFAO...
o ya those black wires are NEVER for satalite antenas.... satelite antenas go on the OUTSIDE of the car typical on the roof.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:29 AM
HCF Member

I haven't done a remote starter install on a Civic yet but I did install one on my wife's '98 Protege. Pretty easy install; was just a cheapo Canadian Tire starter so the installation instructions sucked; but a Haynes manual will show you pretty much everything you need to find out about which wires are which. Haven't done an install into a manual transmission but I understand it's a more involved process.

Was thinking about putting a remote starter into my '02 LX coupe after Christmas - if I decide to go that route I'll take pictures and post up a DIY.