General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

remote start on manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Default remote start on manual

i know that i might sound dumb but im just not sure, i wanted to get a remote start for my car, yet mine is manual, now i thought that it was fine and everything would work just fine, but people at work are doubting me saying that automatic only... please let me know if this is possible and then what one you would suggest for a 2006 civic EX

Old 07-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Default RE: remote start on manual

I believe you can do the remote start on manuals, you can not get a installer to install it because you have to disable the nutral lock out and keep the car in nutral at all times and it will start in 1st but it will hop and stall, possably into another car. Someone correct me if I am wrong, this is just the info I got from my brother when he tried to have someone install it in is manual truck.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:48 PM

Yes you can put a remote start on a manual, all you have to do is bypass the clutch so you wont have to press it in to start but make sure you start it in neutral. Under the dash above the clutch pedal there should be a switch just cut it and run straight wire but make sure the wire you use is connected to a fuse (NOT a fuse in the fuse box go out and buy one) an individual fuse box so if it blows you just have to replace the fuse

Old 07-08-2006, 03:45 AM
HCF Member

You CAN do it, but i would highly advise against it. Lets say you take your car to somewhere to have some work done. Kid that drives the car remote starts it, but the car was in gear. BAM! Your car hits something. Another scenario (this one happened at my school). Someone drives your car, he leaves it in gear and gives you the key. You start it and hit two cars in front of you. It is really a bad idea, and i'm pretty sure its illegal to tamper with or disable the clutch switch. You will also not find an installer that will install it for you b/c of liability. If you wanted stuff like remote start you shoulda bought an auto, its really a terrible idea.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:26 PM

I have installed 6 remote starts in manuals. It is easy.

If you do it you WILL wreck your car. Not if.......when and how bad.

All 6 have wrecked, and 5 were promptly removed. The 6th wasnt a bead wreck, just some minor scratcehs, although we are all waiting for it to be worse the next time.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:47 PM
HCF Member

I'm an installer. Trust these words. You CAN do it!!!! You CAN makit reliable. You CAN make it safe. It WILL cost you extra!!! There are certain brands, like Compustar(its what we sell) that are standard shift specific. You have a specific set up procedure that must be followed to let the car know that its in neutral. Once it has been initialized, if you open the door it cancels the programming and you must re initialize each time(its a simple procedure). This is a safety feature so if someone gets something out of your car and puts it in gear, the car will not start(the brain dosn't know when its in gear, but it does know when it was last in neutral, the open door cancels it from knowing it was in neutral) Its safe, reliable, and a dam fine convenience feature.

Old 07-08-2006, 03:56 PM
HCF Member

Cliffor Matrix makes neutralizers too............................................... .....not for my year though The setup for alarm and remote start ran for $500 here in San Diego.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:53 PM
HCF Member

i had a remote start installed on my manual trans Civic. No prob so far, just don't be stupid and make sure you're not in your teens anymore.LOL,J/K

Old 07-11-2006, 11:40 PM

i know someone who has a remote start on his manual miata. its freakin awesome when u see the car start but no ones in it lol. just remember to leave ur car in neutral if u plan on using it..

Old 07-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i also HIGHLY ADVISE AGAINST IT!!!!!!!!

it just takes ONE time to remote start it and it being in gear!

if you do you beter have several safe gards inplace! like mainly have the emergency brake act as the nuetral switch and ONLY when FULLY CRANKED back!

personaly i would never do it on a manual!!!!!!!!!
to much risk!

and most likely if you wreck it that way your insurance will DEFINATLY GIVE YOU HELL!!!!!!

Quick Reply: remote start on manual