General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

repair or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Default repair or sell?

Hey y'all,

I have a 2000 civic EX, red.
I was recently hit in the drivers' side door, and the insurance won't cover it.

Only the door has been damaged, otherwise the car is in great shape. Cracked windshield, but I've been planning on replacing that. I was just about to sell it for a newer model. But now I have the decision of how much to repair.

The drivers side door needs to be completely replaced. I'm not able to do any of the work myself... The quotes I've gotten range from $800 to stick any red door on it to $1500 to replace the door and paint the entire left side fo the vehicle.

I live about an hour from metro Atlanta. What would be the best option financially speaking? Repair all of it? Sell as is??

Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: repair or sell?

Why can't you do it yourself? It'd be way easier and cheaper. Pick up a door from a junk yard or a parted vehicle and toss that sumbitch on

Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 AM
HCF Member

If you cant do the work yourself. Go to the scrappers and get them to get you a door. They onlycharge a couple dollers more. Then bring it to get it painted. They dont need to paint the hole side of the car. They can flash your paint and make the same color so your door will match perfectly or keep adding reducer to the paint so you get the same shade.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:45 PM

<< Why can't you do it yourself? It'd be way easier and cheaper.>>

Well. I'm a preschool teacher. I've never done this type of thing before.

What are the names of the tools I would need?
How difficult would it be to wire the power windows/locks?

I have a permanent back injury, so I can't lift more than 20 pounds. Is it difficult to hold the door in place while attaching the hinges, etc?

I'm still doing my research, but I'm willing to try if it really would be managable for me to do myself.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:47 PM

<<They can flash your paint and make the same color so your door will match perfectly or keep adding reducer to the paint so you get the same shade.>>

That sounds great. Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:33 PM
HCF Member

All you have to do is have someone hold the door in place then there are 4 bolts that need screwed in. + for the wireing, I think all that you need to do is splice the wires together. Easy as that.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:01 PM

<<I think all that you need to do is splice the wires together>>

Any way to verify this before I start hacking my car?
Thanks!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:44 PM

Get a service manual, it'll have pictures and precise instructions. This will be really help full because you need to align the striker(the thing that keeps the door closed..easy stuff)and it might not be totally obvoius why it dosent stay closed. If you can work a rachet, screwdriver, and clip some connectors together(there should be no splicing). I think you'll be ok.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:03 PM
HCF Member

Im pretty positive therre ill eb no splicing. It should just be plug and unplug. I replaced a oor on my cousins 95 civic and it took me about 10 minutes or so. If you are concerned about the color matching that much or can find a close match in the scrap yard you can have it fixed for under $200 easily depending on the junkyard. Call up a friend or something and have them come over and hold the door.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:30 AM
HCF Member

Considering you never recover repair costs when you sell, I would just get the closest color door from the junkyard and install it yourself or have a shop doing this for you. It should not be expensive, cause it's relatively easy and fast job. This is providing the damage is severe. If this is just a slight dent - forget it.

And even don't bother with painting - people who are able to do perfect match normally will charge you a leg and an arm, and if match would not be perfect - why bother ifyou already have similar color?

Quick Reply: repair or sell?