General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Replacing Head Gasket 4th Time Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Replacing Head Gasket 4th Time Help

One other suggestion to save you all this trouble is to buy a rebuilt engine. I've seen 80-83 1300's and 1500's go for $200-$300 since they're so old and not really in demand anymore. Also, if you want a bit more get up and go, the 1800cc engine from the 1st gen accord is a drop-in swap I believe.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:30 AM

Well I got the head off today and all I see so far are two little dents in the top of each piston where I am guessing it hit the valves. This is not good. I do not know if it bent the valves or not. How do I tell if it bent the valves or not? It appears that 2 and 3 cylinders bores had fluid in them as they are washed somewhat more clean than the others.

I have not found where it is leaking.

Comments?

Old 03-20-2008, 02:33 PM
HCF Member

That engine sounds like a write-off, there are just too many things wrong with it now. Did your timing belt snap? If it did, its almost certain the valves are bent. So much for that nice new head. If you want to keep that car going, the best thing to do would be to get a rebuilt engine or long block; they're cheap for that year! Replace the valves in the new head and save it in case the rebuilt engine goes.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:11 PM

I spoke to a honda mechanic and he said the pistons were all made that way. Each has two little dents when they are manufactured. Never saw that before but then I have not taken the heads off many hondas.

I have examined both gaskets and eyeballed the head but I cannot see where the fluid is leaking from. Both pistons 2 and 3 have about 1/2 the top of the piston washed clean.

The head is at the machine shop and I am looking tomorrow for hairline cracks in the block if I can see them. And checking things with a straight edge. And a few other things too.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You really need to get the block into a shop for a precise inspection and possible machining. It's pretty clear that the problem is not just the head since you've been through four of them now. Or replace the whole engine.

Yes the pistons are made that way. If you see any fresh gashes in a piston, could be where a valve hit it. Also if you still had the head you can inspect the valves and make sure that they have no cracks, etc. and come all the way up when the cam is not pressing them down. If you have abnormally large clearance between the rocker and the top of a valve, that's because either the valve doesn't come all the way up or the rocker bent when the valve was hit.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:56 AM

I checked the engine thoroughly yesterday and found that the timing marks on the cam and drive shaft matched the setting for the 1300cc engine and not the 1500cc that I have. I understand that this could cause the blown head gasket, pinging, and low power I had in my car. Only I see no where that the head gasket was blown. The car has been underpowered for two years since I got it.

I expect this means I will have to reset the valves before I start it up. The machine shop is checking the head now. But I see no where the fluid came in so that still bothers me.

Joe.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:34 AM

The head had no leaks in it and the valves are sealing fine. The shop is going to plane it a very little bit and return it to me.

I am still working to determine if the block is okay. I've seen no cracks in the block so far but I have not cleaned it up yet. Not too sure about level yet. Might be low spots.

What can I put into thte cat converter to clean any tary deposists in there out or carbon buildup. How about oven cleaner?

joe.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Converters are self-cleaning. Don't put anything into it. Once the engine is running properly, any oil, etc. will burn off.