General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

RIP Civic - Car stolen

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 02:37 AM
HCF Member
Default RIP Civic - Car stolen

Looks like this is going to be the end of the road for my civic. It's been stolen twice, including this week, and broken into two other times while I've owned this car. I got an Autolock after the first stolen incident and it's been good, at least from the two break-ins without the car being stolen. Well, apparently that didn't stop the thieves this time.

The car's given me too much mental headache for me to continue to keep it at this point, even if it's found in good, running condition. It needed a new clutch and new tires soon, so it's a good thing I didn't get those done prior to this week.

My civic gave me over 110K miles since I bought it, so I got my money's worth but there is still some sentimental value that I cannot replace. It will never sit well knowing someone else made my decision to essentially get rid of the car by violating my rights as a car owner. Can't believe some people have nothing better to do with their lives than to steal other people's cars... I used to dismissed them as "punks or idiots" but having been affected multiple times, I have absolutely no tolerance for scum like these. A car could be one's only method of transportation to a job or for caring for a family. At this point, I want to wish the worst on whoever did this... but that will subside soon enough. All I can say is 'what goes around, comes around".

anyway, I'll need to get a replacement soon... which generation civic is the most thief resistant? 7th or newer? Feedback on that would be much appreciated.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:21 AM

Nothing is resistant to a tow truck. The newer the vehicle, the harder it is to steal IMO.

Sucks man, did you **** anyone off recently? After the first time, I would have suggested to opt for some sort of security camera system just to get these a$$holes off the street

Old 12-26-2014, 11:42 PM
HCF Member

Nah. This was my commuter to and from work. I don't bother anyone, etc. The police actually notified me of the car being stolen. They saw a bunch of people in the car when they found them doing some stupid **** on the freeway (they apparently got away).

Btw, the four incidents happened over a span of a few years actually but you never know if it's the same idiots or not. I thought of the camera thing but didn't think of this happening again so soon.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

if there just joy riding and not chopping it you should have installed a basic kill switch the older civics are notorious for being stolen. the newer cars 2001 up have transponder chips that won't start without the rite key. these are also not completely fool proof though with a spare ECU and key it could be stolen but that takes time,money and brains something it sounds like your thieves don't have.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:56 PM
HCF Member

yeah, these idiots don't sound like pros. If they were, I would hope that they wouldn't target such a bland car like mine. they'd waste their effort on something more worthwhile.

I was thinking about a kill switch earlier as well as the security cam when the first incident occurred. then life got in the way, lol. anyway, i was thinking of upgrading anyway in a couple year but that decision doesn't have to be made anymore. I think I'll look at the 2001-2005 generation sedans... boring but newer. Hopefully that'll be better at deterring joy rides.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:51 PM

are you SOHchitToem in the other forums?

Old 12-30-2014, 09:50 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Col.TED
are you SOHchitToem in the other forums?
No. Have no idea what you're referring to. I assume that is the user id? I only have an account on this forum for my civic.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by jbum
No. Have no idea what you're referring to. I assume that is the user id? I only have an account on this forum for my civic.
my apologies.....thought you were the same guy whose civic got stolen in Sf on the same time frame as yours.....he was lucky since they recovered his still intact.....hope yours too.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:55 AM
HCF Member

So far no news from the police about recovering my car. The last time it happened (maybe 2-3 years back), it was only two days before they found it abandoned somewhere. Maybe it went to a chopshop this time or something. For now I have a more boring 2005 sedan moving me to and from places. Just not the same though

Old 01-29-2015, 08:17 AM
HCF Member

Ok, some update. The police called me about having recovered the car.

The question is.. am I legal bound to pay for towing charges whether or not I want it back? Seems like if I have to pay 250+ for towing regardless, I'd rather get it back and sell it for cheap to recover my cost rather than let the towing company get fatter.

What are your thoughts?

Quick Reply: RIP Civic - Car stolen