General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Scratches from snowbrush??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Default Scratches from snowbrush??

So my new (black) 2012 civic coupe only has 500 miles on it..it's my first new car that I am buying, so I am overly **** about it!
We got some snow last night, and being paranoid, brushed the wet snow off every few hours. This morning, I realized that there are hairline scratches where I brushed. Nothing you could probably notice unless you were me, but still.

Here's my question, I have heard that polish/waxes/sealants will fix this.
Do they actually fix the problem or do they just cover it up and you have to keep re-applying? If these are a good fix, which ones would you guys recommend? And I should I wait and do them in the spring, or now?

Also, what is a safe alternative to a brush for getting snow off without scratching? I appreciate any help...this is driving me crazy! thanks

Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 AM
HCF Member

The new clearcoats they're using these days due to environmental regulations are terrible. You will find them to be far less durable against bugs and bird droppings in addition to being super easy to scratch and inflict swirls.

You really need to use a soft brush. There's nothing you can put on your entire car to ultimately prevent these scratches. Waxes and sealants may help a little, but it's not their primary purpose to protect the paint from physical damage.....they're there to mainly prevent chemical and UV attack.

If you inflicted a scratch with a snow brush, I'm thinking you probably need to use a compound to buff it out of the clear. Though, if you havent done it before you may just want to take it to a detailing shop because you can burn right through the entire clearcoat if you're not careful.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the response!
Ya, I was thinking of just getting it detailed once winter is over.
Is it something I should do right after the "wound" is inflicted (like right now) or can it wait? Like I said, no serious scratches, just hairline essentially.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:21 PM
HCF Member

If it's just hairline, it should be something that a good detailer should be able to permanently remove. The scratch should be ok to leave it, but personally, if there's not any wax on it now, I would get the detailing down before winter and salt set in and have them do a full claybar, fix that scratch, seal and wax. Putting it through a winter without wax is pretty harsh on the entire clearcoat.

I just got a new car too, so I hear you on the **** thing. You should read up on how to wash the car without inflicting swirls. Basically any machine wash is a no go.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:23 PM

I literally got it from the dealer about a month ago, only put 500 miles on it. It had a full wax when I picked it up, so I think it is good on that end...

Old 11-11-2011, 07:27 AM

Where I live we get huge snowfalls seemingly every year now and I have to go out in morning and de-snow my wife's Volvo XC70.(with my work truck it hardly matters) Its a 2001 and I have kept up the appearance very well as the paint is very nice yet but I have taken these precautions:

Don't use a snow brush to actually "touch" the sheet metal/ or even the windows...I only use it to take the snow line down to the layer of ice that usually forms a couple mm.s or so over surface. I use a cotton mitten on my hand and wipe down snow with engine running and defrosters on. Go ahead and let the car run for 15 mins. and wiping down a breeze. Don't even use the plastic chisel piece on window to do anymore then dislodge the ice sheets that will be starting to melt from underneath...it is simply not worth it.

When using a brush/scraper on that cold snow, depending on the materials used, those pieces will freeze making them hard and brittle and will even scratch up these modern day windows. With the hard glass of yore it was not a prob. really but today every thing is so damn fragile.

Anyway, try to use cotton products. Sorry about the new car woes, I'd be upset and annal too