General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

SEA FOAM FTW!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: SEA FOAM FTW!

alright so i bought a bottle of this stuff. and i want to use it in the intake, but where does it do exactly??? i can't figure out what the main vaccum hose is??? HELP!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_142942/tm.htm

very easy to do! i have a bottle myself that i was gonna use BUT forgot about it before i changed oil to synthetic and dont want to change the oil just yet.... ive only got like 1K miles on the new oil so im gonna wait afew more then pump it in....

Old 12-04-2007, 12:28 PM
HCF Member

thank man =) like always.

but i'm lost, what do you mean i have to change the oil after i do this???

Old 12-04-2007, 01:15 PM
HCF Member

If you put the seafoam in your crankcase, change it after 50 or so miles. with the vacuum line method i see no reason to do so, but seafoam is usually used as part of a tune-up. so an oil change, plugs and all that jazz would be changed anyway. Yes. don't forget to change the plugs. it may not be necessary but some people experience plug problems afterwards, but the seafoam is not dangerous for the engine and is widely known as a great maintenance product.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:57 PM

I just seafoamed and I didn't get hardly any smoke at all... on a 93 EX with 160k miles...weird

Old 04-22-2008, 02:17 PM
HCF Member

I'm guessing you take your car out on the highway and run it pretty hard every now and then?
If you drive like this (kinda got too in a civic anyways lol) the carbon will get blasted out of the combustion chamber.
My truck was mostly all low speed, stop and go, heavy towing kinda driving and the carbon came spewing out of that.
It doesn't mean the product doesn't work, it;s just that your combustion chambers didn't need cleaning.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:25 PM

lol, makes sense...every once in a while my car likes it rough

Old 04-22-2008, 06:19 PM

Early 90's Chevy's kind of had a problem with carbon build up in the cylinders, which eventually raised the compression to the point of pinging/detonation. I used to use Sea Foam all the time back then to fix those. I would start up the vehicle, rev it up to about 2k rpm, start slowly pouring the Sea Foam in the intake/throttle body trying to keep RPM's at about 2k even though it bogs down. About the last 25% of the can I pour in and start releasing the throttle until it sputters and dies(yes, a whole can). Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes to soak into the carbon deposits. Before you fire it up, make sure your in a ventalated area. Since the intake is soaked in Sea Foam you will most likely have to hold your gas pedal to the floor to get it fired up, once it's started rev it up a few times until it idles on it's own. Then rev it up a few more times and take it for a drive, preferably "spirited" driving as that will help break apart and blow the carbon out the tailpipe.
I've heard rumors about this process damaging your cats and O2's although I've done this A LOT and have never had a problem, and it works perfectly every time. So try at your own risk. Just my .02.

Also, if your looking for smoother idles and quick throttle reponse, gain access to the throttle body blade(butterfly) and clean it with brake clean and a toothbrush, where the blade meets the inside of the throttle body bore. You will see it's very black and nasty, which at idle prevents free flowing air into the engine causing erratic and low idle with poor throttle response. Helps if someone holds the gas pedal to the floor for you so you don't have to do it while you clean, it's easy either way...