General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

SERIOUS OPINIONS/INPUT NEEDED: big swap idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:34 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: SERIOUS OPINIONS/INPUT NEEDED: big swap idea

what type of power were you looking at with a GT30R? and depending on that, that's where you need to find out what fuel management system you'll use. and yes, you're missing A LOT of parts.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:38 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

if you're getting someone else to do all the work, you might as well buy a new car considering you'll probably have to double the cost of all the parts.
I laughed out loud at this part, but it's basically true . . .

Old 08-04-2007, 02:41 PM
HCF Member

yeah, it's just a rule of thumb. and the manual swap is a little more labor intensive than just the straight swap.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:44 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

what type of power were you looking at with a GT30R? and depending on that, that's where you need to find out what fuel management system you'll use. and yes, you're missing A LOT of parts.

I read around online that with the GT30R + Turbonetics Turbo + the B18C engine you could tune it up to run around 325-350 at 13psi. For my purposes, I don't think I'll be running that strong. Thankfully with the job I have, finding money isn't much of a problem once the winter/spring comes around (just got a high-paying job 2 weeks ago, and around winter/spring is when I think I'd be doing the conversion, if I go ahead with it).

The B18C Type-R motor package comes with the LSD Hydraulic Transmission, ECU, Axles, Shift Linkage, Stock Motor Mounts, Alternator, Starter, Clutch, Flywheel, Intake Manifold, Exhaust Manifold, Fuel Rail, Injectors, Distributor, Engine Harness, and Sensors. The T3/T04B Turbonetics Turbo package comes with theCast-Steel Turbo Manifold, Mandrel-Bent Downpipe, Turbonetics Evolution 35mm Wastegate, Spearco W.A.V.E. Front-Mount Intercooler, Silver Metallic Intercooler Piping, MF2 ERL 3D Map Injector Controller, MSD Boost Timing Manager, 440cc Lucas Fuel Injectors, Turbonetics Raptor Blow Off Valve, 2 Bar Map Sensor, K&N Air Filter, Synthetic Turbo Oil, Hardware&Fittings, and the GT30R Dual Ball Bearings. So in terms of the manual conversion, besides what's listed in these packages (like the 5spd Transmission, clutch, etc.), the pedals, a short shifter, and a shifting ****, what else am I missing to complete the process?

Just want to make sure I have it all laid out in front of me to know what I'd be in for.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:29 PM
HCF Member

sounds to me like a pretty good set up

now good luck on finding that person to do the swap with

Old 08-04-2007, 09:13 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Pete

Drive it another year. Buy a new SI.
+5!!!

you know that you're not going to get back the money you put into the car, so I say sell your current car, and get a brand new civic si, and boost it.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:22 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: theblackpearl

sounds to me like a pretty good set up

now good luck on finding that person to do the swap with
that's definitely going to be the toughest part. i think as long as it's possible to get all the pieces for the process together, i'll be handing myself practically a new car for around $10K(+), with power, that runs strong for another 5-6 years. that's instead ofspending $20K+ fora new or used one that runs with less or similar power for 5-6 years. i'm hoping that if and when it comes time to sell it down the road it'll retain most of its current value because of the lower mileage on the internals. 130K miles under the hood on my stock internal '99 right now is expected, but under 100K (that's assumingi do about the same driving i've done this whole time, which has been quite a bit) on a '99 5 years from now with tuned power? that might be a pretty good thing, who knows. i guess we'll just have to see.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:25 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Masonn

ORIGINAL: Pete

Drive it another year. Buy a new SI.
+5!!!

you know that you're not going to get back the money you put into the car, so I say sell your current car, and get a brand new civic si, and boost it.

i could wait a year or so and then do that. tempting... tempting... it's so hard to let go of your 6 year companion though.