General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Sheet metal door panel DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:23 AM
July 2010 ROTM
Default Sheet metal door panel DIY?

Googled it to no avail. Gonna do it, but i dont want to rivet them on (honda windows are notorious for eating **** and jumping track). Self tappers are ugly. I have a pretty good idea of how to make a template and cut the steel to fit, but attaching it in such a way as to make it look good and allow it to be removed for maintenance is the problem. Gah... Im at a loss. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I know some of you creative bastards are lurking. Help a brotha out!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:39 AM

Some sort of rubber gasket around the edges to hide small rivets or self tappers?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 PM
July 2010 ROTM

Only prob with rivets is the fact that theyre kinda permanent. I dont wanna drill them out just to fix my window. They look the cleanest tho, by a wide margin. Im considering double sided tape lol. I really need a clever solution.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 PM
HCF Member

I've been considering doing this in my civic to get rid of that stupid arm rest thats built into the door. I really hate that thing, it pokes into my side and is basically in the way. I'm tall enough to use the top of the door to rest my arm on.

If you get this figured out, or decide to just say f**k it and do it yourself... take some pics! make a DIY! purdy please?

Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 PM
July 2010 ROTM

Pics will be a must. I will def post them in my project thread. Only reason i didnt ask the question there is because of the higher traffic in this subforum. Anywho... i suppose i will use maybe 4 small rivets in concert with double sided tape. The rivets to secure the panel in a semi permamemt fashion, and the tape to dampen some noise and vibration. If my window eats ****, i suppose i will just eat **** too and drill out the rivets. Rivet. Ribbet-Ribbet.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:51 AM
HCF Member

First of all a steel sheet will weigh more than the door panel itself. Personally I'd make a sheet of carbon fiber and use that instead. Making a solid sheet is really easy, plenty of information on YouTube. I'm working on making molds and **** so I can make money off of carbon fibering. Using the carbon fiber sheet would look super sick, be more functional, and if you do a few layers it'd be really strong. I would also just rivet it. The window coming off the slider isn't that regular of an event, and if yours does it often then there's problems. I'd just suck up drilling em out for that rare event of the window coming off. Otherwise figure out a way to get a nut behind there, like using those tabs on a lot or license plates and on honda inner fenders. Now that I think about it, that's actually a really good idea. All you'd have to do is drill the hole and cut a slot about a half an inch wide and maybe a 1/4" long, enough to slip the tab in. Then you could use flanged bolts which would like really clean and the easiest to remove. I'm a genius.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:22 PM
HCF Member
Old 09-22-2011, 02:45 PM
HCF Member

I highly dislike the bolt boys spike bolts, so overplayed and don't even look cool in my opinion.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:51 AM

if it is just he arm rest that bugs you then why can't you mod the existing plastic mold door cover to remove the arm rest and creat some flat plastic/metal sheet to cover where the arm rest is. This will allow you to still remove the plastic/molded door panel as intended. Just my $0.02

Old 09-26-2011, 09:02 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by iujeffcpa
if it is just he arm rest that bugs you then why can't you mod the existing plastic mold door cover to remove the arm rest and creat some flat plastic/metal sheet to cover where the arm rest is. This will allow you to still remove the plastic/molded door panel as intended. Just my $0.02
I might try that. maybe with a carbon fiber panel

Originally Posted by Scott53092
I highly dislike the bolt boys spike bolts, so overplayed and don't even look cool in my opinion.
I'm not saying he would have to use the spikes. They have alotta other nice washers and stuff that would look good used in this project.