General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Shifting into neutral at every stop ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:11 PM
HCF Member
Default Shifting into neutral at every stop ?

I read on howstuffworks .com on fuel saving tips that shifting into neutral (manual or auto) saves gas and engine wear. Is this true ? Wouldn't this cause more undue stress on your transmission ? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Shifting into neutral at every stop ?

Well think about it. Youre stopped at a light and the tranny is in N. There is 0 load on it, therefore it wont use any more gas. Now say you toss it in N when you SEE the redlight, and start slowing down......no downshifting........REMEMBER the higher the RPMS the more fuel youre burning......I always throw it into N when coming to a stop.....its bad to keep your clutch in and car in gear anyway.......

Old 06-21-2007, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

After I learned about the extra wear on the clutch (throwout bearing I believe) I've gotten quite use to putting it in neutral at redlights and other stops. It took me a little bit to get used to, but it's secondnature for me to do now. Might be a little obsessive but if you aint got alot of loot around it might be a good habit of getting into.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:42 PM

ya dropping into neutral is the best way to keep clucth fresh and save on gas just remember if you are coming to a stop and drop to neutral then it goes green always drop to a higher gear then drop down to save on wear and tear so ex: if you car is in speed for 2nd always drop to 3rd then drop to second after to save on the grinding factor, but yes goin to neutral will save in gas by far....

Old 06-21-2007, 10:57 PM
HCF Member

it might **** up ur tranny if ur in an auto to be shiftin it like that but an a manual definatly do it.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:06 PM
HCF Member

^ i do it with my auto and it's still fine

Old 06-21-2007, 11:17 PM
HCF Member

my friends maxima is in the shop gettin a new tranny and we think its cuz he manually shifts his shifter too much. all im sayin is be careful.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:20 PM
HCF Member

i'm guessing he accidently did too many neutral drops

Old 06-22-2007, 12:47 AM

omg kids let me explain.

it doesnt make a diffrence. (on gas) when cruising by keepin ur car in gear (or drive for auto's) the motion of the car going is keeping ur engine alive. (no gas required to throw into it) when u drop it in nuetral (stops spinning ) *stops rpms* and the injectors start throwing in gas to keep engine aline instead of just cruisng and the engine being live cuz of the motion of the car......

Old 06-22-2007, 05:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya shifting with a auto.... ok can have slight wear from high rpm shifts BUT the true killer is neutral drops... having the car in neutral then gasing it reven up the motor and then slaping it in gear.... this action will DESTROY your auto!!!!!!!!! lets face it you destroy first gear... your done!!!!!!!!! thiers no way you can skip first cause its a auto.....

now if its a stick.... ya just screw that gear and dont use it again.LOL

but i think keeping the car in neutral for a AUTO... isnt that great but does help some wear if you do it all the time... cause the motor and tranny work harder on a load... even if your stoped and your brakes are just holding the car.... your motor/tranny is trying to push the car.. dont believe me... then let off the brakes.LOL the motor is bogged down cause it is trying to move the car still...... well if ya slap it in neutral then the motors not gonna have that load on it...

BUT for me only time i shift into neutral is at fast food drive thru and the bank drive thru
other than that its just not practical for me to put anymore wear on the shifter...
plus MAIN reason i do it in my ride is for a beter alternator charge.... cause with the motor on idle the stock alt puts out some power.... if ya stoped at a stop light the motor is under slight load bogging down the motor which doesnt turn the alternator fast enough to put out decent power.. and well my electrical system needs every amp i can get

Quick Reply: Shifting into neutral at every stop ?