General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:32 PM
HCF Member
Default short shifter

I want to get a short shifter, what are some good brands? i see a lot of cheap ones on ebay, .

Also should i get new Shifter Bushings?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Banned

OK why? But anyways get a B&M if your gonna get one and you dont need a new shift bushing your good. You know it isnt shorter really just shortens your throws of the shift. It does by like 28% if your looking for one like in the gay and the curiouse just cut your damn stock one bro.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:48 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by turbo00EK
OK why? But anyways get a B&M if your gonna get one and you dont need a new shift bushing your good. You know it isnt shorter really just shortens your throws of the shift. It does by like 28% if your looking for one like in the gay and the curiouse just cut your damn stock one bro.

aftermarket harder Shifter Bushings give a better feel.idk.

Is this one good, neuspeed short throw shiftet?

Last edited by enigma34; 05-12-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:13 PM
HCF Member

yes on the bushings, so much of a difference, cheap, easy to install. Skunk2 and B&M make short shifters, although i've been VERY lucky with my cheap ebay one; its worked fine for a long tiem now

Old 05-12-2009, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

short shifter feels so much better than regular lol, i learned on one so i HATE driving with a stock shifter lol

Old 05-12-2009, 09:28 PM

I am using DC sports short shift on my 2005 civic. Here's a pic. It makes around about 15% reduction which it worth it.

Last edited by francis09; 05-12-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 PM

I love my Buddy Club dual bend short shifter.

I recommend dual bend (it puts the **** further back closer to your armrest by an inch or two), and there's tons of good brands. Buddy Club, Blox, Skunk2, Neuspeed, B&M, DC Sports, and the list goes on and on. Just don't get eBay shifters... they're cheap aluminum and can snap off at the threads if you shift a little too hard. Just for piece of mind, go with name brand. Also, the name brand ones are steel and are heavier, so the shift feel is better.

Definitely get the Energy Suspension bushings. Makes the end of the throw stiffer and more solid. For help with your installation, the kit comes with polyurethane versions of parts 14, 16, and 19 in the picture below.

For the installation, you will need white lithium grease. This goes on the shifter pivot ball.

Also, I recommend replacing the Shifter Ball Seat, and the Dust Seal B. Chances are that the seat is worn, and the seal is ripped or will rip soon. Replacing the seat will make shifting less sloppy, and replacing the seal will prevent it from getting sloppy in the future. Chances are that you'll rip the original seal when removing it.
I'm not just trying to make you spend money. lol. I recommend replacing these because shortly after installation of my short shifter, my dust seal ripped on its own and my shifter got insanely sloppy, and I had to take it all back apart and replace the seal.

They are parts 7 and 10 in this picture. (7 is inside of 10 while assembled, and then they go over the ball near the bottom of the shifter, and then that sits on top of part 8 with the bottom of the seal sticking through the hole in part 8)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=SHIFT+LEVER

Last edited by trustdestruction; 05-12-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:08 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
I love my Buddy Club dual bend short shifter.

I recommend dual bend (it puts the **** further back closer to your armrest by an inch or two), and there's tons of good brands. Buddy Club, Blox, Skunk2, Neuspeed, B&M, DC Sports, and the list goes on and on. Just don't get eBay shifters... they're cheap aluminum and can snap off at the threads if you shift a little too hard. Just for piece of mind, go with name brand. Also, the name brand ones are steel and are heavier, so the shift feel is better.

Definitely get the Energy Suspension bushings. Makes the end of the throw stiffer and more solid. For help with your installation, the kit comes with polyurethane versions of parts 14, 16, and 19 in the picture below.

For the installation, you will need white lithium grease. This goes on the shifter pivot ball.

Also, I recommend replacing the Shifter Ball Seat, and the Dust Seal B. Chances are that the seat is worn, and the seal is ripped or will rip soon. Replacing the seat will make shifting less sloppy, and replacing the seal will prevent it from getting sloppy in the future. Chances are that you'll rip the original seal when removing it.
I'm not just trying to make you spend money. lol. I recommend replacing these because shortly after installation of my short shifter, my dust seal ripped on its own and my shifter got insanely sloppy, and I had to take it all back apart and replace the seal.

They are parts 7 and 10 in this picture. (7 is inside of 10 while assembled, and then they go over the ball near the bottom of the shifter, and then that sits on top of part 8 with the bottom of the seal sticking through the hole in part 8)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=SHIFT+LEVER
Ya thanks i will buy all them things you said. Im bidding on a new Neuspeed, look like it comes with shifter bushings.

Im not installing it myself, im brining it to a shop.

Things i need,
white lithium grease
Shifter Ball Seat
Dust Seal B
I wouldint think this stuff should cost much, Can you help me find the thing i need online?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

OMG I run pro SFWD and I still have a stock shifter yall should be good with the stock one lol.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:54 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by turbo00EK
OMG I run pro SFWD and I still have a stock shifter yall should be good with the stock one lol.
wats wrong with a short shifter? i see no problem with it it just feels better IMO

Quick Reply: short shifter