General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Short Shifter, Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Default Short Shifter, Shifting Problems

Does anyone have the problem of the short shifter not fully engaging the gears?
From a neutral position, it's "sometimes" hard to go into 1st gear unless I press down/ease-up on the clutch pedal. It works better to go from neutral to 2nd and then 1st, before letting up on the clutch.
Also it seems to "click" into each gear and not a smooth shift like most shifters.
And it grinds the gear a little when shifting into 5th at high rev around 5k-7k rpm.
Can anyone help me with this issue as I'm just getting into the modding scene.

Thanks,

Old 11-19-2008, 02:17 PM
HCF Member

What kind of short shifter do you have? Ebay knock off or Brand name? if Brand name what Brand?

Old 11-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Angry Admin

i really dont think that it has anything to do with your short shifter unless you ****ed up the install majorly.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:32 PM
HCF Member

Short shifter will not make your gears grind.
Thats all in your trans.

How's your clutch? Before I put my new clutch in my car, it use to have trouble getting into first. Now its just fine.

And why such a high rev into final gear??

Old 11-19-2008, 04:03 PM
HCF Member

Ehhh, you guys are just a tad bit mistaken. If the current problem is the result of the new short shifter he installed, then it's the short shifter. Nothing internally should have been changed. If he did in fact purchase a no-name brand shifter, then it can be a result of not fully engaging into the gears due to the pivot arm on the underside of the pivot ball not being the correct lenth for the complete shift on the shifter fork. That's why buying Name-Brand equipment pays off. But then again, the OP didn't mention whether or not it is name brand. And yes, it can also have been from using the wrong hardware with the installation or wrong shifter part number.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Default Thanks for the posts.

I'm not really sure about the brand of shifter, it was in the car when I got it.
As for the car, It's a 2000 Si up-converted to a Type-R,..It's more of the later now, since it doesn't even look like a Si anymore.
The shift into 5th is a typo, I meant to say 4-5k rev.
I believe it's the shifter creating the problem and was going to replace it anyway.
Can you guys recommend a good name brand?

Thanks,
-GHynson

Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Angry Admin

b&m, skunk2, ppl like megan

Old 11-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well my first problem with a short shifter was the conecting bolt on the shifter arm to short shifter... my old 94civic when i replaced the motor and pulled the shifter linkage also i ended up loosing the proper washer/bushings and when i tightened that lower conecting bolt it pinched the whole linkages to almost solid and the shifter wouldnt move at all... i ended up loosening the bolt/nut and using a jam nut to hold it slightly loose.
the bushings might be holding to much not leting you do full engagement MAYBE.....

other than that jack the car up on jack stands and crawl under the car with a friend inside the car shiften the gears back and forth and look for any binding.... if binding.... just keep it on jack stands and put the stock shifter back on for now.lol

Old 11-23-2008, 02:13 PM
HCF Member

It sounds like you need to adjust the short shifter there should have been instructions on how to adjust the short shifter after you installed it.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:24 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by whoknows
It sounds like you need to adjust the short shifter there should have been instructions on how to adjust the short shifter after you installed it.
Majority of 6th generation aftermarket short shifters are nonadjustable. The only way to "adjust" them would be to swap the bushing sizes, which wouldn't work well and bind up.