General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

should i buy or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:29 PM
HCF Member

i kno i loved that car alot. i had the interior decked out with purple leds and ordered alot more from oznium. the day of the accident i get a knock at the door right as i walked in. ****ing mailman delivering my leds. aint that a slap to the face lol. but oh well i decked this car out with the leds and a music and flash interface. imma hit the junker tomorrow to pull a CV Axle for the right side n see if i can snag the headliner. before i wrecked the hatchback heres some pics of my work i did. i plan to do it also to this car when i get a tad more cash. mounting leds to prepunched pcb works like a charm. lol had to get a tad stoned too mate haha

heres the guage cluster

speedo

custom tach i added (yes its a stock honda tach with a hint of ******riggin lmao

heres the floor

like i said these were on the wrecked civic. i removed them and kept them and sold the car. well now their on this new civic i just grabbed. and they look ill as shyt. well imma go twist a j of some sour diesel. get barbecued till my fackin eyes fall out their sockets lol. ill post more pics of the leds later

Old 05-21-2009, 12:06 AM

you put the LEDs in front of the gauges? double wow.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:59 AM
HCF Member
Talking

the other night some little fruity bastards shattered my back window and i was cruisin denver down federal with my window shattered. lol cops been hot on feds lately. got followed from 44th got pulled at 36th. hes all checkin out the window like wtf. then he asks if thisis my car. show him my papers and my license ins and shyt. he sees the leds glowing on the floor lol so he dont have to use his flashlight to be nosey lol i did it for him. he looks at em and hes like wow those are nice. did you do them yerself. im like lmao i never expected to get that reaction out of the cops. especially the snotty *** denver pigs lol. i think imma go rip off my cluster now and led it up . im not doin nothin but smokin a joint and chokin on it, and fighting with my woman over txt msging lol. facking women. but yeah if anyones interested i can maybe do a tutorial on it. the other way the dude did it was easier in the diy section. my approach is a tad harder. he coiled leds in his open pockets behind his guage cluster. i cut away at the walls inside there. put like foil to add reflectiveness to it. then i take the faceplates off the guages and sand em down good on the back so their absolutely clear. then i put a dot of hotglue directly behind the face and stuff the led in there, for purps i do 3 leds in series to match 12v for the car battery so no resistors are used. those are such a pain in the *** to solder to each led lol. but homie wants reds in his expedition. cant do 3 in series like purps tho. plug em in and their gona pop. cant handle the voltage purps use so u go six in series and the ones from oznium.com, if hooked up like that will make the **** glow hella bright red. looking directly into the leds ****s with your eyes. that gives u a general idea of brightness. but do you think i should write up a tutorial?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 PM

oh okay, so you did put them behind the gauges. sounds like you really worked hard to get them to shine through good.

A tip I have for you is to not mount the LEDs so close to the gauge, but instead closer to as far back as the stock ones are. when you mount them really close you get hotspots.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:00 PM
HCF Member

what i did was get sandpaper and remove the faces of the guages. they say you can break them removing the needles but thats partially correct and incorrect. out of my experience you can take the tach and speedo needle off. but if you try the fuel one the fuel one will snap off easily. ive broken a few so i dont even **** with em anymore. for that i used a skinny piece of sandpaper. then held em in light and drew a tiny dot over the numbers, then hotglued leds directly behind each number. so i think i got like 9 in the tach, bout 13 in the speedo, 9 behind the temp/fuel. then did 3 overhangers with enuff legging so they can be adjusted for their angle. was gona do the turnsignals but my soldering iron just went out on me lol and im too lazy to remove my cluster out of my civic ill do it after i pick up my girlie from school. ill post some pics of the tach so far

Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 PM

Sounds pretty cool.

I had figured the needles could come off, but that it wasn't that easy to do without breaking them. I've messed with the gauge cluster in my car a few times and I won't mess with the needles. I have heard though that if you remove the needle and put it back on, the gauge will never read the same.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 PM
HCF Member

the guages like the tach. well my tach is a tad diff. the rotor inside has a deadzone where it wont turn anymore and thats at 0 rpm. so if u put the needle on that one put it on anyway, then push it all the way foward till you can tell its slipping, then let it go. itll stop at like 40mph or something over 0mph, then give it a little push back till it hits zero perfectly. then let it point up to 40mph then let it go, if it flops back and stops back at zero its calibrated properly, speedo too. but the fuel ones and temp those are a diff story i dunno how the hell they work all i know is their fragile as hell and cant use this approach on them or youll definately break them