General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Should I go for the ef hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:35 PM
HCF Member
Default Should I go for the ef hatch?

I am planning a project for may-june while I go to school and have alot of free time before going back to work. I was thinking of fixing up my eg hatch (1994) but realized it might cost a pretty $$ as it needs a few dings fixed and rear small amount of rust on each side of the car. Instead I found this little ef 1991 hatch for sale,
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...QAdIdZ47192414

it has no rust and is very clean, ie. never modified and it is cheap for me as its 1500 obo. As far as the high milage I will obviously be tearing out the stock engine/suspension/brake components for better stuff. Should I go for this car? Quick answers as I will be looking at it tommorow. And these cars can take a 1st gen b16a correct? I plan that swap and then piece together a turbo setup.Thanks ahead guys

Old 04-27-2008, 11:09 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Should I go for the ef hatch?

thats a sweet deal...that car looked pretty damn clean from the picture

and to awnser you question on the b16a1, you can swap it in just fine, just gatta get the mounts, axels, tranny, shiftlinkage bla bla bla but it is a very common swap.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Personaly IMO id say just fix up your ride...

think of it this way.... you know what needs to be fixed. NO SUPRISES!!!!! thats always a plus. there is VERY FEW sellers that will tell you everything they know about the car!
but thats just my opinion...

Old 04-27-2008, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

^^ Im gonna get some quotes this week on fixing both sides of rust and a few of the noticable dents, Im hoping I can find a reasonable quote. Then I will have no problem swapping something into my car, I just hate the damn rust on there (Its very small as of now) dents are ugly to but Im replacing the front side fenders and possibly the doors, paint will come later. I need to get this engine work done tho before I go back to work in 2 months like I said so besides rust looks will come after for this project. (This may mean black colored front panels for a while and possibly no wheels for a bit) lol o well I know my priorities with this car right now.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well it doesnt have to be perfect.... alittle rust sucks ya but just get it patched over with new metal and just kinda blend in the paint alittle. at least for a temp fix...

looks pretty nice to me........ wish i could find a reasonable eg hatch...

Old 04-27-2008, 01:56 PM
HCF Member

yes they are even hard to find here, thats why I decided not to let this one go and I just want to make it into a fast little nice looking eg (eventually) and garage it in the winter for now on. Heres the rust im dealing with and the ding from a crowbar above the roof (I hate this one) Heres the rust Im working with and the biggest ding is the crowbar mark on the door.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13922/F7A0B04117D940449AFC24EF2E0F0CBA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13922/3B67C52FDCB04F0DBE6EC57DBE7CA525.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13922/7ACDDB63CDD24E549138DFB2601FCD4B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13922/FB893D939A4143D3974443F3700E5484.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya thats not to bad at all!!!!! get some rust remover stuff and put in those rust areas... youd be suprised how much of the rust look is just rust flow..... and the dent... try a paintless dent removal place they probably cannt get it ALL OUT... but should pop most of it out.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:34 PM
HCF Member

will do man^^ and btw that bumper is loose on the driver's side, what is the best way to put that back into place? Ill call around this week after trade school to find some people willing to repair that dent and a small job of the rust for now. Panels are actually really cheap at the honda parts yard here so instead of getting people to fix the door dents and such that I couldn't reach Ill will just throw on some newer conditioned panels. Is there a write-up in here how to remove the front fenders? I see 3 screws on top, is there a few more somewhere else on the panel? Should be cool anyways cruising around either in my h22a/b18c powered hatch and suprising a few of the b16's around here, lol.

Btw marc do you think I should remove the tint on the back window's? Or just tint the front ones a bit as well to even the look up a bit? The back are about 5% or limo, very dark but looks funny kind of with no tint on front 2 windows. What is a % for front?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well my drivers side clip keeps poping loose lately... it looks bent up, i just quickly went behind the bumper and used a zip tie to go around the plastic retainer clip thing.... so far hasnt poped back out yet.

the fenders are kinda a PITA alittle to remove.... pretty simple tho just time consuming...
remove those two 3-4bolts under the hood, remove the plastic inner fender clips and pull them out of the way, then theres one bolt up front which is kinda right behind the corner lights..
then open up the door and remove the top bolt to the fender in there... and NOW for the PITA part... there is one last bolt that holds the fender on thats under the side skirts, remove the screws runing from under the skirt and then pull the skirts outwards enough to get to the last bolt.
then the fender will come right off..... [8D]
i had mine off before to replace the door hinges.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:54 PM
HCF Member

What happened with a crowbar?lol. But yeah it will probably be cheaper if you keep one car because having to buy stickers and plates for two cars gets kinda expensive. Oh and you can drill another screw to get the fender part lined up again. And that fender has a couple of other screws hidden in between the door jams and on the bottom also.

Quick Reply: Should I go for the ef hatch?