General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Should I refurbish my 1998 hatchback?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Default Should I refurbish my 1998 hatchback?

Should I keep this car?

I have a 1998 Honda Civic Hatchback CX. I bought it used in 2002. People say I should get a new car but I love this one! The mileage, the space, the reliability, being able to get in spaces only a mini-cooper can also think about. It's got 130,000 miles on it --still gets 32 to 35 mpg and while it's been parked outdoors it has done pretty well over the years. The paint is in good condition.

I've spent about $4,000 over the past 8 years in repairs -- but most of it was "ordinary" -- like brake linings, cv joint replacement,etc. Only one or two things were unexpected failure of a part.

With about $1000 I could do the cosmetics that would bring it back to good shape (new bumpers and a slightly crumpled side fender) but I'm wondering what do you think? I 'd rather spend 3 or 4 thousand on this car and keep it if it will last me another 3 to 5 years. Especially since nothing on the new market comes close to this.

Do you think a Honda Civic reasonably well cared for could do that -- get 17 or 18 years -- while not beginning to look like a "junker?" Or should I bite the bullet and finally get a new vehicle? Based on opinions I would then take it to my Honda dealer to see what needs to happen...but I'm a little worried that they'll be prejudiced and either want to do soup to nuts and charge me a fortune or try to sell me a new car...so I'd like some pre-opinions. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:16 PM
HCF Member

pics would help alot but im encouraging you to keep it

Old 09-10-2010, 04:52 AM

I'd say anything that runs, gets good MPG, and is paid off is worth keeping.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:12 AM
HCF Member

Civic's IMO are and have been one of the most reliable, longest lasting vehicles out there, and for someone like you who isn't all into modding and beating your engine to hell I think you could get many, many years out of here. Keep it

Old 09-10-2010, 05:19 AM
HCF Member

KEEP KEEP KEEP!! and like Dakota said especially if you're not modding/beating the hell out of it and with only 130k that car is probably only lived half it's life maybe less! honestly from what you have said i can't even see why you would consider getting rid of it lol

Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 AM
HCF Member

I say keep it. I'm in the same boat as you are. I have a 97 with just over 130K miles. I'm gearing up to do some cosmetic repair (new fender, lip kit, etc.) and add some bolt on parts for a little extra performance. If you take care of it, you should be able to get several more years out of it.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:49 PM

im going to get rid of mine. one of my quarter panels is lower then the other. previous owner said it was just the trunk was bent and didnt line up

Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Default Thank you...

Thanks so much everybody for your input...wow, the overwhelming vote is keep it! I must say my car has never had anything except minor issues and standard part replacements -- and that's pretty amazing for a twelve year old car. If I could get another 50,000 miles I'd be happy (I drive 10 - 12 K miles a year) ...but it looks like I could likely get more.

Will send pix of it...and then maybe add more when the cosmetics are done in a few months and I have it detailed.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:10 PM
HCF Member

Congrats on making the right choice, and looking forward to the pics!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:31 PM

130,000 is nothing. You're good for at least another 70,000 as long as it is taken care of.

Just wondering... timing belt and water pump were changed semi-recently, right?

I have 175,000 on mine and going strong. Boosted and getting ~28 mpg on my 99 coupe.

Quick Reply: Should I refurbish my 1998 hatchback?