General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Si or regular Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Default Si or regular Coupe?

I'm contemplating a Civic at some point in the future, but I'm facing kind of a dilemna here. I really like the looks/performance of the VW GTI MkV, but VW's reliability record has pretty much scared me off from it. It's a pretty big gamble to see if their reliability has gone up by spending 23k on one of their GTI's. I really loved the SI hatchback, but I'm pretty pissed that they're no longer making it (as far as I know) and I haven't found a used one near me.
My dilemna is that I don't race or anything, I'd like good gas mileage, but I don't want to be stuck with a car that's just boring to drive. My main gripes about the SI are that it takes premium and the mpg is pretty low. That being said, is the performance of the EX-L really crappy? I drive a 97 Corolla now and it's just flat out pathetic, so I don't want to buy an EX-L coupe and get the same performance. I rarely go anymore than 10mph over the speed limit (usually 5 over does it for me, yes I know I'm boring. ) I'm just agonizing if getting the SI is really worth it if I don't speed/race/etc. I just want a car with a little "get up and go", so I'm curious if anybody knows if the EX-L is a total slug.
Sorry the post was a little long, or if it didn't make any sense, I'm new here. :P
I also looked at the Mazda3 iSport, but IMO it's just ugly and doesn't have as many options as the Civic or GTI. Part of the reason I was looking at the GTI so much were all the options.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Si or regular Coupe?

You will be more than happy with an ex. You wont enjoy the si if you drive slow

Old 02-23-2008, 09:20 PM

Oh I forgot to ask, I guess apart from the spoiler, the SI and EX are pretty much identical?
I was thinking more about the EX too. I guess it's pointless to have the extra 50hp if I'm hardly ever going to put it to good use. The SI would probably be happier with a different owner. :P

Old 02-23-2008, 09:51 PM
HCF Member

Different gauges, different seats, but especially different engine.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 PM
HCF Member

different suspension

Old 02-23-2008, 09:56 PM
HCF Member

In your case it looks like the ex would be better, but if I had a choice i would do the si.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:18 PM
HCF Member

It is my entirely personal opinion that if you wanted a hatchback, you willnever quite be happy with a coupe, they're just such different philosophies.And since you'reusing the new car as a utility vehicle rather than a fast driver the style should be even more important. I looked at the new Honda CR-Vs, (I don't like the Fit)Subarus, Nissans(I kinda like the Durango) and VWs but couldn't quite afford anything in hatchback style, so I paid cash for a 2004 EP3. The chances are I'llmaintain the SiR (a GREAT machine!)as a trader/hobby carand save more money to purchase a suitable new hatch for 2010.

Don't be afraid of the VW GTI MkV, it's a beautiful automobile, I test-drove one. And the trends in reliability according to Edmunds and the user forums is that VW is definitely improving, other than having electrical problems, whereas Honda MAY be slipping a bit. In either case, you're buying a new vehicle, and it's impossible to predict its service future.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:41 PM
HCF Member

I have a 00 Si....andI love driving my car every second of it...Yeah that is true about the gas..only> premium. Si is not meant to be an economy car compare to an EX. I think you are better off with the Ex model..

Old 02-24-2008, 06:30 AM
HCF Member

Test drive them both. The EX has almost 40 less horspower, a less sporty suspension, different wheels, and a different spoiler.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:46 AM
HCF Member

I have an '06 Civic manual LX sedan, my significant other has an '06 Toyota Corolla auto. The Civic is definately more fun to drive and has more guts. I think you would be happy with the EX.

Quick Reply: Si or regular Coupe?