General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

SI worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Default SI worth it?

I have been looking high and low for a non modded 99 or 2k civic SI and cant find one. I guess my question is is it worth the wait or should I just find a nice ex in the color that I really want (silver) and go with that... Its just going to be a commuter but I will put the biggest wheels that will fit on it tint the windows put in a system etc and I kinda wanted a SI for the extra power without doing mods.

Is there a huge difference power wise? should I wait or just say F it and buy an ex? what do you all think.

P.S. im 35 and my wife thinks im crazy but I love the looks of these cars and she drives a 06 TL so she cant bitch at me for buying a honda =)

Old 04-17-2006, 09:48 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: SI worth it?

Have you driven the Si? if you are a more sedate driver, you might be disappointed in the power. The motor is known for not having any low-end power, so with big wheels and a system, its going to feel really slow unless you drive it into the higher revs, where it starts to shine. Honestly, You would be way happier with the EX and a Jackson Racing Supercharger. it would give you a lot more low-end power than the B16 in the Si, and handle the extra weight more easily. and probably not cost much more than getting the Si in the first place. But If you want to have a high revving screamer, get the Si and a cold air intake, and leave the motor stock otherwise.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 PM

Okay thats good to know. No I havent driven the SI and im not really looking for something crazy fast I have other toys for that I just didnt want something that was painfully slow either. But I will go find me a clean low miles silver EX and be happy there seems to be tons of those and very few si's that arent either completely thrashed or have a salvaged title. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:31 PM

yes, the ex is very good. i would prefer one because it may be less likely to get stolen if you live in a honda theft area. and the insurance might be cheaper (but you shouldn't have a problem) and +1 for the super charger idea

Old 10-07-2006, 12:50 AM

I've had both, the si is way better. Hands down. The b16 is the best motor ever. d series engines dont compare. Don't listen to these fools, capture the real essence of honda........DOHC Vtec.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:09 AM

You're looking for EXACTLY what I was looking for... honestly, I like my EX.. I haven't driven an Si, but.... IMO... for what you're looking for... it's not worth it. Just get a nice EX (like mine, it sounds like) and enjoy it... my little Y8 has enough get-up-and-go... and... as it has been said... a supercharger or turbo is an option if you REALLY need the power. As sacicons said... low-end grunt isn't there... but in a 4cyl, do you really expect it to be? I'm a V8 guy... and I never expected the low-end... but, one thing I do like about the VTEC... it doesn't drop off at high RPM's ... like my stock cammed LT-1 did....

Old 10-07-2006, 05:37 AM

wait for the civic si sedan.

looks pretty awesome.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:11 PM
HCF Member

yea man, i love my si but...i mean an ex would be good for what it sounds like u want.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

I wuv my si.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:07 PM
HCF Member

I love my Si too, but starting to think maybe the EX would have been better. Looking at the dyno charts on jackson's site, their SC really fixes the torque on the d16, and I know that ex's are more than 2K cheaper than Si's, around here at least.

Quick Reply: SI worth it?