General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

So I put snow tires on today...

Old 11-21-2007, 05:29 PM
HCF Member
Default So I put snow tires on today...

i put snow tires on today and went back to the stock 14 inch rim. i bought the car with 15 inch after market rims but one of them was bent. ever since i got the car the speedometer never worked.. but now with the 14 inch rims it does. i didnt know changing the size of your rim would effect the car like that.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: So I put snow tires on today...

what? with the other 15s your speedo didnt work at all..... but now with stock 14s it works perfect now? sounds realy odd to me! the only thing that wheels should do is throw off your speedo if your tires dont match outter diameter..... as long as the diameter is the same it shouldnt effect anything. sounds to me its just a coincedence.....

Old 11-21-2007, 05:58 PM
HCF Member

it might of been but its just really weird to me... cause people always say that changing the sizeof the rim can effect the speedometer i just didnt know that drastically. it wasnt like the speedometer was really broken last time but it only worked like 10% of the time i drove. it never counted miles either the odometer says 68k miles but i know thats not true.. now its counting miles again.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

it could be like my civic.... speedo worked fine when i bought the car and got it all running and driving then all asudden the speedo stoped working 90% of the time.... after it warmed up a bit it would work again for a short time...

check to ensure that your speed sensor on the tranny is pluged in firm....
i swaped out my speed sensor with no change..... then since i knew the speed sensor was good. THEN i replaced the speedo in my cluster.. and now it works flawlessly...
i figure the electronics on my speedometer just stoped working.....

try this.... if you have cruise control.... does the cruise control still work when the speedo is flatlined ?
if it does is say its the clusters speedometer thats gone bad like mine... BUT if it doesnt work then id say its the speed sensor gone bad...

and if it is the speed sensor be VERY CAREFULL with changing it cause the freaken gear and sensor is just pot metal and breaks VERY EASILY!!!!!!! thats the reason i had to replace mine twice

Old 11-22-2007, 04:12 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ksull

it might of been but its just really weird to me... cause people always say that changing the sizeof the rim can effect the speedometer i just didnt know that drastically.
Changing the size of the rim DOESN'T affect the speedo. Changing the rolling radius of the tire does.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:38 AM

can anyone here help with a swap fo a CRX to a single cam Prelude 86?