General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

so many problems with my 89

Old 08-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Default so many problems with my 89

i bought it originally for 900 from a guy down the block. only needed a brake booster...supposedly...

had to buy the brake booster, then a new battery, then found out i need a whole new muffler system. got that all done and just been driving it since its been on the road.

just lotsa trouble lately. and now i need a new axle and a master cylinder.
ive been driving it for a few weeks now with the axle clicking.

any comments or suggestions?

Old 08-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: so many problems with my 89

I think on these if the master cylinder leaks thru the back seal, it will get brake fluid into the booster, which will destroy the rubber diaphraghm, thus need for a new booster. At least that's what happened to an '87 I had once. The '92 generation had an isolated design.

You can keep driving with a bad axle for a while until you get a chance to replace it. But eventually it will break completely and the car will need to be towed.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

uhhh..yeah..i had to redo every aspect (cept the lines) on my brakes in my 88.......

like mk378 said...if you get brake fluid on your booster it voids the warrenty and it also will mess it up and you will have to buy another one...and thats somthing you should get fixed ASAP...for me with my bad booster my brakes would lock up after driving for awile and i would get stranded becasue i couldnt move my car...i would just feel the brakes starting to firm up and get off into a parking lot as soon as i could...we first replaced the master cylindar, which didn't fix the problem..and then we replaced the booster which was the problem and saw that there was a fluid leak on from the master cylindar so...we new that was the problem....i would say replace your master cylindar as soon as possable or your gunna have to get another booster. And i know how you feel..lol cause i had to go through replacing everything on my car too when i first got it but once you get it going....youll be set...and everyone will pass you and youll try to race but most likley loose....

start savin for a swap!

lol
ef power!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:15 PM

you also have to expect problems with a car that is 20 years old. especially if it wasn't very well maintained.