General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Some tips and tricks - discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Some tips and tricks - discussion

ORIGINAL: ProjectGSR

yes i have dyno charts for everything, i have a different car for each of those mods at my private testing facility in Germany. I'll call Hans and have him fax over the charts to you right away, but keep them out of Nissan's hands, theyv been sending spies after me for a while now.
Sure, I promise not to tell anybody. Looking forward to see them posted

Old 11-22-2006, 08:36 PM

i say the egr is a no no unless you reprogram your ecu to remove it otherwise you will throw cel codes.

the breather filter is more to keep your engine from burning oil that is in the air coming out of the engine (can't think of word i guess maybe atomized), from entering your intake and being burned up and causing deposits and stuff in your engine.

hood tilt - it really works, i have done it.

indexing the spark plugs - not worth anything on a engine making at best 100whp - f1 yes maybe a little

advance timing- can get more power but not really worth it imo

Old 11-22-2006, 10:43 PM
HCF Member

Its not worth it. Honestly, how many HP are you going to get? Your going through a hassle, breaking laws, and risking destroying your engine. To me it is absolutly pointless to do all of that for a couple HP you will not feel anyway. If there was a magic secret to HP, the automakers would have already found and implemented it in thier cars. The people who design those engines prolly know more than the ppl on this forum.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:25 AM
HCF Member

the problem with that theory is that automakers have to please as many buyers as they can, and if they can run a more conservative timing (for example) and not need to worry about using higher grade fuel, then that will sell more cars than a slightly higher powered car with a premium fuel thirst. but some of the things here have drawbacks that we as tuners find worth it. a mainstream buyer would be annoyed with a car that took a long time for the heater to warm up in cold weather, but a tuner knows that its a small trade for a car that will run cooler when he's flogging it on an autocross grid or a roadcourse. now its up to us to find where we draw our own lines. For me, I dont think its worth a few fractions of an hp to delete the egr and suddenly not be street legal, or to bother taking the time to index my spark plugs for half a hp ( and thats a dubious gain by any means. most cars will vary by that much anyway.) its more worth it to me to save up and get a type r intake cam and get a solid 7-12hp gain. but on the other hand, a little road noise is not a concern of mine when i decided to take out my sound deadener and when i chose to run my loud Falkens.