General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Sound Dampening, dynamat questions...?

Old 02-14-2007, 11:26 PM
HCF Member
Default Sound Dampening, dynamat questions...?

Ok I want to hear from anyone that has done there wheelwells....I've done trunks, headliner,floors and doors

How much does it actually kill the road noise?
Can it withstand the beating once applied? Of daily driving, rocks, snow, salt all that good stuff, or does it get beat the **** up?

I am really thinking about doing this if the outcome is worth it. I'm not worried about the price of the Dynamat, I have a good bulk source, so money isn't really an object.
How much does it take do do all the wells?

Guys let me know, hope somebody 'round here has done this.
Thanks

Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sound Dampening, dynamat questions...?

the outside of the wheel wells? i dont think so,unless you take the plastic out and put it on the metal,but still,..stick to the inside of your car

Old 02-14-2007, 11:45 PM
HCF Member

I wasn't actually sure if people did the outside or not, it seemed kinda of...well dumb...but I wasn't 100% so I thought I'd ask.

I could have sworn I heard of people doing the oustside and virtually killing the noise....

Old 02-15-2007, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

I've done my whole car and it is nice! I had it done at a car audio place and I think it REALLY makes a big difference... I have studded tires on my car right now and I cant hear them until I roll down the windows.... I used tsunami and I can testify that they are very nice.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:22 PM
HCF Member

Moogly, did you do the outside of the wheelwells, or the inside?

Old 02-15-2007, 11:27 PM
HCF Member

You can do the outside of them, but you have to take out the plastic. Stick it to the metal, and give it about six coats of underbody coating. It will hold up well if you really cover it with underbody coating. And yes it will cut the noise by at least 1/4 to a 1/2.

You will probably need about 100 square feet to do it right. That is for all four. I wouldn't use dynamat, just get some E-dead. Its cheap and it works just as well. I used it on my current civic, and having done car audio for over 12 years I swear it works just as well as dynamat.

Now when you go to put the underbody coating(UBC) on, make sure that whatever sound deadener you use is clean and dry. Then put three coats of adhesion promoter on it and then start putting on heavy coats of the UBC. Do 5-6 coats and you shoudl be gravy. Hope it helps. PM me if you have any questions.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:51 PM
HCF Member

Just ordered myself 120 square feet of e-dead.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:55 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Carlz0r

Just a side note on the e-dead. Wear a pair of leather gloves when you put it in. I cut my thumb and finger up pressing rthe sides down. When you cut it the edges are left sharp, and you WILL get tons of little cuts. So just grab a pair of thin leather gloves and you will be fine.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:32 PM
HCF Member

I vote having someone do it rather then doing it myself, My big *** tends to tear stuff up crawling around inside the car trying to pull up loads of carpeting and plastic. And no matter what I do, when, where, and for whatever reason, I always end up bleeding somehow, on one hand or the other.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:48 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: windcalmer

ORIGINAL: Carlz0r

Just a side note on the e-dead. Wear a pair of leather gloves when you put it in. I cut my thumb and finger up pressing rthe sides down. When you cut it the edges are left sharp, and you WILL get tons of little cuts. So just grab a pair of thin leather gloves and you will be fine.
I've got a roller to press it down, but I'll make sure to wear gloves anyhow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound Dampening, dynamat questions...?