General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Speedometer Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Default Speedometer Trouble

I own a 2001 Honda Civic EX 5-speed 4-door. The car has been in no wrecks during the time I have bought it, and when I did buy it the speedometer worked fine. However, a couple months later it died out. I'm wondering if anyone could help me troubleshoot what the problem may be, from most likely to least likely (or easiest/least expensive to try and fix first to hardest/most expensive).
Here's what's happening: The speedometer does not move from 0mph. Everything else on the instrument cluster works fine. On occasions it will have a good day and actually work for a few minutes before residing again down to 0mph. On the days it does work, it literally is random. It could be from when I stop at a light and start moving again or simply increasing my speed and it will measure out the difference in speed (i.g. I was going 40mph when it wasn't working but then increased my speed, it'll start working, up to 60mph and it'll read 20mph).
Luckily I have been able to read my tach to be able to tell how fast I'm going in each gear (and it gives me a good excuse to why I was going to fast if I cop pulls me over ). Really, it's more of a nuisance than an extreme problem.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 AM
HCF Member

Firstly, to save you or anyone else reading this a ticket, never tell a cop your speedo is off. They give you a ticket for faulty equipment. Ask me how I know. =P

When I had this issue, I simply replaced the cluster. Worked fine after that. So if you have any friends with the same car as you, you could ask if you could try using their cluster in your car, just to test.
You could also start by pulling out your cluster, and making sure everything in the back is plugged in all the way. Make sure to have car off while doing this. Some recomend you unplug your battery while doing this check.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Does the odometer keep rolling like it should while the car is moving, though the speedometer says zero?

Is the check engine light on? (also consider that the CEL is often disabled on a used car, it should come on for 2 seconds when you turn the key on but not all the way to start the engine).

Old 02-17-2010, 05:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Name:  picture_4382.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  picture_4383.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  64.2 KB

Old 02-17-2010, 10:04 PM

Lol Punisher, that had to suck to think that'd be a good excuse and then come to find you can get a ticket for that too (because I know I definitely thought it was a good idea)!

mk, the check engine light is on, however I'm fortunate enough to have a diagnostics computer at home in my garage. Last time I checked (while it was having this problem), it was only my O2 bank 2 sensor. Checked again today and same thing. As far as the odometer, it does still work as well as everything else on the cluster. The CEL is enabled.

RonJ, great diagram! Thank you! I will have to print that out and try it. I honestly had no clue there was such a thing you could do.

Anymore suggestions would be great, thanks guys!

P.S. I'm trying to avoid having to replace to cluster at all costs (college student and a little tight on money)

Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 PM
HCF Member

It really sounds like your cluster is broken. You can find another cluster at a salvage yard for around $50. Could be less, could be more. Depends on your area. If you would like, I could hit up my Honda buddies around town and see if anyone has a spare cluster.

And yes, it sucked getting that ticket added to the list he gave me. Wreckelss driving < he claimed I spun tires in 2nd. Slipping clutch, 92 HP.... right. > and driving a vehicle improper. Gave me that because he couldn't prove I was speeding. He was being an ***.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 AM

Typical power-trip with the badge. I will check some local salvage yards for some clusters. Also just found out that my vtec solenoid could possibly be bad (troubleshooting code ran vtec system malfunction); could just be the screen in front of the solenoid is dirty and needs cleaned off or I'm extremely low on oil.... which definitely shouldn't be the case. Also now I need an O2 bank 1 sensor... Someone got like $10,000 to give away? Could use a new car haha j/p

Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you run the cluster self diagnostic tests?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 AM

I have not been able to run the cluster self-diagnostic test yet due to my lack of time w/ school and work as well as I'm also facing an issue with my radiator right now (having to replace it - leaking), so that's first on my priority list to do.

I will update as soon as I have done some of the suggestions you guys gave me. Thanks again btw guys!

Old 02-25-2010, 06:49 PM
HCF Member

I have the same problem on my '00 EX, at autozone they told me it was the speed sensor, but i also hope its not the cluster like you said Punisher.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Trouble