General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Default Starting issue

Hey guys i have a 97 honda civic ex auto.

I"ve been having this annoying start up issue. Everything starting wise (starter, spark plugs and cables, battery, alternator) works fine. My mechanic ran a diagnostic on my car and these are the codes it gave me
P0420 Catalytic converter
P0122 throttle pedal sensory A
p1337 CSF sensor
P1336 CSF sensor
p0108 Manifold baro sensor
P1457 Evap emmision control.

i took it to autozone and i asked them wich one of these codes wud give me starting problem. and they told me it wud be the P0122 TPS.i bot the part and installed it. I drove it around the block and parked turned off my car and then i tried to turn it on again, and agan my car didnt start up.

This is getting annoying and i need help. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by LoserkidMike
Hey guys i have a 97 honda civic ex auto.

I"ve been having this annoying start up issue. Everything starting wise (starter, spark plugs and cables, battery, alternator) works fine. My mechanic ran a diagnostic on my car and these are the codes it gave me
P0420 Catalytic converter
P0122 throttle pedal sensory A
p1337 CSF sensor
P1336 CSF sensor
p0108 Manifold baro sensor
P1457 Evap emmision control.

i took it to autozone and i asked them wich one of these codes wud give me starting problem. and they told me it wud be the P0122 TPS.i bot the part and installed it. I drove it around the block and parked turned off my car and then i tried to turn it on again, and agan my car didnt start up.

This is getting annoying and i need help. Anyone have any ideas?
what kind of noise does it make (if any) when you try to start it?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Once started, does it drive OK? When it is not in a mood to start, turn the key on and leave it in position II (normal running position) without cranking. The CEL should come on and go out. During the time it is on you should hear the fuel pump running.

The MAP (P0108) can also cause starting / running problems. Getting both MAP and TPS codes suggests that the wires to them have been interchanged, on some models they both have the same type of plug and the wires will reach, thus the setup is not "idiot proof."

Whenever there is more than one code, proper procedure is to write them down, then clear all codes and test drive until the CEL comes on again. Then re-scan. The codes that reoccur are likely a real problem.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by briceman124
what kind of noise does it make (if any) when you try to start it?
Once it starts up it drives ok, it idles high for a quick second and then it is normal again. THere isnt really a noise.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
Once started, does it drive OK? When it is not in a mood to start, turn the key on and leave it in position II (normal running position) without cranking. The CEL should come on and go out. During the time it is on you should hear the fuel pump running.

The MAP (P0108) can also cause starting / running problems. Getting both MAP and TPS codes suggests that the wires to them have been interchanged, on some models they both have the same type of plug and the wires will reach, thus the setup is not "idiot proof."

Whenever there is more than one code, proper procedure is to write them down, then clear all codes and test drive until the CEL comes on again. Then re-scan. The codes that reoccur are likely a real problem.
Yea it drives fine after it starts again, if it doesnt start i let it sit for 30 minutes and it starts up normal again.
as far as the codes go, im in the process of buying them part by part in order.