General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Stolen Civic Epidemic

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 PM
HCF Member
Default Stolen Civic Epidemic

Some of you may know that my civic was stolen earlier this year in March. Since this incident has occurred 3 more people that I know or know of have had their Civics stolen as well. Most recently my buddy with a turbo K20 swap had his stolen. I live around Akron Ohio and just really wanted to give everyone a heads up. Our cars are the most stolen car in Ohio and I'm sure one of the top stolen cars in the nation. Make sure to lock your car and if you have work done to it invest in a good alarm system. Trust me I don't want anyone to have to go through what I went through and my buddy is going through right now... needless to say... it sucks

Old 09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The 1995 model is the most stolen car in the nation.

Simple hidden fuel and/or ignition kill switches are remarkably effective at making your car hard to start up and drive away. When you buy an alarm system, realize that it will only help if you are close enough to hear it. Everyone else either ignores car alarms or hopes that the guy will just hurry up and steal the damn car so the alarm will go away.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

mk, have you installed any type of kill switch in your Civic? If so, how did you install it or how would you recommend others do it? My Civics are completely unprotected aside from the door locks.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:12 PM
HCF Member

If a thief wants your car, they will get it. My brother just got his 99 si stolen yesterday. he had a two way pager and was very close to the car. Were guessing the thieves used a towtruck

Old 09-25-2008, 02:10 AM
HCF Member

Dude, I lived in Akron, OH for 21 years. What part of Akron are these thefts happening? Downtown? Copley? Surrounding areas? East Akron? Kenmore?

Old 09-25-2008, 09:11 AM
HCF Member

Times like this is when lojack comes in handy.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:41 PM
HCF Member

In the Montrose area, mine was stolen from the Macaroni Grill parking lot, and my friend was in Barnes and Noble when his was stolen. Since it's right by 77 they were "easy get away targets"- that's the wonderful insight I got from the cops.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

I have a switch on my car that turns off the comp. (it turns over but wont start) i also have one for the battery but i dont use it much cause i dont like resetting the clock... and radio... and amp settings... and clock on the head... basically im lazy

Old 09-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

layer your security!!!

start by an alarm system that has a starter kill, then do a hood cable relocation. Thats a hood cable relocation. Your hood release cable can be accessed from the outside and your hood popped without anyone ever getting inside the vehicle. So you can relocate your hood cable to where it runs under the hood instead of through the fender.

Then install yourself a fuel cut off switch hidden somewhere in the car. If you pull up the bottom of your backseat the fuel pump wiring harness is right there. Cut on of those wires somewhere in the middle of the car (thieves know to look under the back seat to resplice the wires back together) and run both ends of the wire to a hidden location and install a toggle. When you park you flip the toggle and it kills the fuel pump so vehicle cranks but wont start.

Those are the basics, then you can go as far as some others like I relocated my battery to the trunk and added a instant trigger to my alarm so if my hood is opened the alarm goes off. Also added a back up battery for the alarm.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by 90Civtegra
layer your security!!!

start by an alarm system that has a starter kill, then do a hood cable relocation. Thats a hood cable relocation. Your hood release cable can be accessed from the outside and your hood popped without anyone ever getting inside the vehicle. So you can relocate your hood cable to where it runs under the hood instead of through the fender.

Then install yourself a fuel cut off switch hidden somewhere in the car. If you pull up the bottom of your backseat the fuel pump wiring harness is right there. Cut on of those wires somewhere in the middle of the car (thieves know to look under the back seat to resplice the wires back together) and run both ends of the wire to a hidden location and install a toggle. When you park you flip the toggle and it kills the fuel pump so vehicle cranks but wont start.

Those are the basics, then you can go as far as some others like I relocated my battery to the trunk and added a instant trigger to my alarm so if my hood is opened the alarm goes off. Also added a back up battery for the alarm.
You have a lot protection. Has there been any failed attempt to steal your car? What percentage of car thefts involve the use of a tow truck, which you would not be protected from?

Quick Reply: Stolen Civic Epidemic