General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

storing a civic for a long period of time

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 AM
HCF Member
Default storing a civic for a long period of time

Hey whats up?
well i just bought my friends 00 civic. Since im goin to have to leave it with my mom untill next spring( i wouldnt have time to bring it to wash. cause of comin back from iraq an other ****). Im goin to have to keep it in a storage unit.
I was just wonderin if there was anythin that i need to do to it before i lock it up for about 4months. Its also goin to be in the winter soo i dont know if the freezin temps would have anythin to with how i stored it. should i drain all my fluids? put it up on blocks? ect...
any help with do.

thanks guys.

ben

Old 08-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: storing a civic for a long period of time

Consume or drain most of the gas out, then mix a strong dose of Sta-Bil with about a gallon of gas and pour that in the tank and circulate it. Change the coolant to new, good to do anytime you buy a used car. Block up the car so the tires don't touch the ground. Remove the battery and store it indoors. Would be good to have someone use a battery charger on it every 3 months or so while you're away.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 PM

well sounds like he knows what hes talking about. i would just recomend putting all new fluids in it and give it a nice slow warm up when its spring time

good luck to you

Old 08-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well as long the fluids are all good i wouldnt worry about them to much.. tho i would run it to a low gas tank and why your at it in the storage place dump a can of HEET into it so it will absorb any water that does get into the system and let it burn thru the motor fine when ya come back. and a good idea for the tires being jacked up and battery removed.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:14 PM
HCF Member

I think the Military will store it for you and keep up on the general upkeep.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:16 PM
HCF Member

You have to pay to store it and it is a little extra for them to start it like once a month. i am in the navy and that is what a few of my co-workers had to do. Army might be different.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:31 PM
HCF Member

thanks guys, ill probly take the battry out, an put it up on blocks. Yea in the army they have a huge car lot, to store the vechiles, an i really dont want mine sittin outside in the now.sleet, etc..an have some moron lookin out for it.

but thanks for the tipes

Old 08-29-2007, 11:01 PM

leaving the car full of gas -> stale gas when you get back
leaving an empty tank with big changes in temp -> lots of moisture build up

Depends how cold is cold i guess and also how long you will be gone. When we hit the - 40deg C and then back to +10 deg C, it is really bad when there is any air in the tank as it builds up tonns of moisture.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:23 AM
HCF Member

yea i see what ur sayin..well in michigan t icould get down to -10 easy put for most of the winter its aroimd 5-20 degrees. Do u think i shuold keepa full tank of gas or half.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:03 AM
June 2010 ROTM

Storing Your Car
(From 1997 Honda Civic EX coupe Owner's Manual)

If you need to park your car for an extended period (more than one month), there are several things you should do to prepare it for storage. Proper preparation helps prevent deterioration and makes it easier to get your car back on the road. If possible, store your car indoors.

- Fill the fuel tank.- Change the engine oil and filter.

- Wash and dry the exterior completely.

- Clean the interior. Make sure the carpeting, floor mats, etc. are completely dry.

- Leave the parking brake off. Put the transmission in Reverse (5-speed manual) or Park (automatic).

- Block the rear wheels.

- If the car is to be stored for a longer period, it should be supported on jackstands so the tires are off the ground.

- Leave one window open slightly (if the car is being stored indoors).

- Disconnect the battery.

- Support the front wiper blade arms with a folded towel or rag so they do not touch the windshield.

- To minimize sticking, apply a silicone spray lubricant to all door and trunk seals. Also, apply a body wax to the painted surfaces that mate with the door and trunk seals.

- Cover the car with a "breathable" car cover, one made from a porous material such as cotton. Nonporous materials, such as plastic sheeting, trap moisture, which can damage the paint.

- If possible, run the engine for a while periodically (preferably once a month).If you store your car for 12 months or longer, have your Honda dealer perform the inspections called for in the 24 months / 30,000 miles (48,000 km) maintenance schedule (Normal Conditions). As soon as you take it out of storage see this thread. The replacements called for in the maintenance schedule are not needed unless the car has actually reached that time or mileage.

-Written By- NOFX, found in Honda-Tech: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2053810

Quick Reply: storing a civic for a long period of time