General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

striped oil pan threads

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Default RE: striped oil pan threads

thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 AM

when i replace the pan.... where can i find the torq. specs for the bolts?

Old 04-10-2007, 06:26 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

In the manual

It's really not all that hard to do. Just irritating because there isn't one combination of tools that works. One nut will require a small rachet and deepwell, the next will need a regular socket and an extension, next will be a big rachet, etc.. Straight forward, but annoying

Old 04-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

dito.... tho put the epoxy on the inside threads as well... other wise only the outter layer will hold the bolt inplace if its striped to bad..... ya need alittle inside bite for a beter ghetto quick fix.....

but for the replacement... not sure if the pans made outta pot metal or aluminum.... but if aluminium... you could always try taking it to a welding shop and asking how much they would charge to weld a new bung on the pan....
but most likely it would still be cheaper to buy a used one and hope those threads arent jacked up as well...

i never use a torque wrench on my oil plug... i always just judge it myself and be aware how large your wrench is.LOL
also new crush rings every few oil changes as well...

Old 04-10-2007, 03:39 PM

i got this stuff called quick steel, mixes like puttyand it says it hardens as hard if not harder than steel. it is good upto 500 degrees. no way my pan will heat up to 500 degrees... right??

Old 04-10-2007, 03:45 PM

Old 04-10-2007, 03:49 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

In the manual

It's really not all that hard to do. Just irritating because there isn't one combination of tools that works. One nut will require a small rachet and deepwell, the next will need a regular socket and an extension, next will be a big rachet, etc.. Straight forward, but annoying

and you need to drop the exhaust manifold to do it.

D16Y8 oil pan is aluminum.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya that stuff should work preaty good... but just like the epoxy put alittle on the inside threads......

and with that stuff.... best ya use some gloves when rollen that stuff around mixing it realy good! you want a good even grey color! i used that stuff on the steam tables at my work to plug some holes and it worked great until some newbie was cleaning the steam tables and dug that stuff out with a knife! NEWBIES......LOL

reminds me i gotta buy some more of that to fix them tables.LMFAO

JUST MIX IT REALY GOOD BEFORE APPLYING!
first time i used that stuff i didnt know the center was black and had to be mixed realy good.LOL it still held together my heater hose on my old 66impala tho... LMFAO heater hose split and i used that stuff and some duct tape to hold it together for a week before i had time to get a new hose.LOL

Old 04-10-2007, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

helicoil

Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 PM

well......... the finished product! so far so good! i'm gonna let it setovernight to make darn sure it sealed! it's hard as a rock, don't think it's going to come off.

Quick Reply: striped oil pan threads