General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

stuck between FWD and RWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:59 PM
HCF Member
Default stuck between FWD and RWD

Im kinda stuck guys. I really do like my civic, but i dont really like the FWD aspect of it. Not for putting down power but for the fact that one day i want to have a drift car, and that would kinda rule it out, would just be sliding then lol. So i want somthing along the lines of a 240sx, maybe a 350z (expensive!). But that will be a ways down the road after i get out of school. So im trying to decide. Maybe boost the civic, or just save the money for a new RWD car.

Tell me your thoughts.

Eric.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: stuck between FWD and RWD

If you plan on doing drifting, your gonna have to buy another car. Just a heads up though, drifting is expensive, lots of wear and tear on the car.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:57 PM
HCF Member

^agreed.

It's hard to go wrong with the reliability of a civic in college, though.

If you're interested in drifting, DO check out the RWD cars. I personally have had good experiences with 240sx's and Supras (though they might be a bit heavy). I've never driven a Z, but I've got a friend who might let me drive his. I'll try and remember to ask him next time I see him and get back to you. Regardless, drifting is seriously post-school expensive. Until then, enjoy your wonderful Civic.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:42 PM
HCF Member

Go inbetween. 300zx fairlady. twinturbo stock about 300 rw hp.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:03 PM

imo id go with an 89 to 93 mustang coupe or hatchback parts are everywhere and performance mods are there for everything from turbos to superchargers and the suspension packages are all over the place unless you want to stay with an import the id say 240sx, 300zx, mazda rx7, bmw 3 series (unless you dont like krauts either) supras, mitsu lancer awd just remove the front shafts and fab up blocking plates on the tranny, same could be said for an impreza as well...sorry but in my bias to the blue oval i forgot the chevy side as well, with the camaro's and pontiac firebirds sorry...

Old 10-03-2007, 05:36 PM

another car just for thought which i personally own and know they are fun is a chysler conquest/mitsubishi starion its rear wheel drive and has a turbocharged 2.6 in it and if you get the shp edition they already have awesome handling stock but this is just my opinion of afun car

Old 10-03-2007, 05:59 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: maddhatter1979

imo id go with an 89 to 93 mustang coupe or hatchback parts are everywhere and performance mods are there for everything from turbos to superchargers and the suspension packages are all over the place...
Actually, the only things that changed on the Mustang from '79 through '93 are the nose/tail treatments, body belt styles, later model ground-effects, B-pillar glass, and some interior stuff (seats, dashboard, etc.). But essentially, the Fox-body Mustang chassis is unchanged from '79. You can bolt the front clip from any year onto any year, change out doors, etc., literally building a car from the ground up from several if necessary.

You'll just need to get some frame bolstering packages, since the car is uni-body, and tended to 'do the twist' with engines putting out lots of torque.

I owned an '82 and had big plans for it as well (autocross)... but came to my senses and bought a 4x4 truck. ;-) My '95 Hatch is the first 'car' I've owned and driven regularly (outside of my wife's vehicles) in almost 17 years. Asphalt is over-rated.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:06 PM
HCF Member

Get a Nissan Skyline, around here theirs so many. $4,000-$8,000

Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 PM

My friend and I are about to buy an E30 beamer together (can be bought for about $1000) to build into a autoX/trackcar. As for a daily driving drift car... not wise, you'd find that out REALLY fast.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:25 AM
HCF Member

yeah im thinking of using this car for the next 2 years or so then getting a 350z, i really like them but they are only a 2 seater, kinda bummer. But APS makes a twin turbo kit for them. And as for the Nissan Skyline, there are hardly any for sale on the West coast, i searched ALOT, for at least 3 weeks. But even if i could attain one. In Arizona you can only put on 2500 NON-ROAD miles. So you can race it, show it off, whatever. But on the road its gotta be trailered, if your caught driving one here its impound and crush, no other options. And i'd like my drift car to be street legal, if possible lol.

Thanks guys, Eric.

Quick Reply: stuck between FWD and RWD