General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Stupid Irony

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:53 PM
HCF Member
Default Stupid Irony

Ok a little history.... About a month ago i bout a 93 civic lx 4dr. It has 17's but other than that its COMPLETELY stock. It has 141k on it and i knew it would be a good idea to get the timing belt changed seeing as that was the only part of regular matience that the old owners hadent done yet. Well im working in idaho for the summer and my parents live 8hrs away in oregon so i was just going to have it done at home in oregon when i got done with work... So my appointment was for tuesday and im driving home on sunday morning about an hour into the trip just driving normal not ripping on it or anything and all the sudden it gets really loud and looses tons of power. It sounded like a vw bug. I pulled over and checked everthing out and it seemed fine but ran like crap. Well i was out in the middle of no where and called my dad and he said i had to get it home..... So i limped it all the way to portland (an hour from my house) I had to get gas, then it wouldnt start after.... So my friend came with a trailer and got it and we checked some stuff out. It was still getting gas and had spark but was acting like it couldnt get any fuel. So we left it at Honda for my appointment and they tore into it and found out that my cam seal and water pump seal went out letting all the oil drain in and all over the timing belt. The belt slipped 8-9 TEETH. Now its all put back together but the mechanic cant get it to start.... He has been spraying carb cleaner in the intake and says its getting closer to starting but wants to let it soak over night. He said hopefully the valves are just really carboned up and not working right but if not he is pretty sure i have bent valves. Awsome. A day late and a dollar short he says. So well see what happens in the morning. If it is the valves should i just swap in a new motor or just have them replace em? Where is the best place to get a d15? Well thats my crappy ironic story......

Old 08-21-2007, 07:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Stupid Irony

to be quite honest with ya... i would just swap the head... do the "mini me" swap. Where at in Oregon were you going. I have a friend that lives in corvallis. Sucks to hear about this though... After you heard it all loud and whatnot... i would have just left it and got it towed. How much did that cost?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:01 PM
HCF Member

wow that kinda scares me... a lot. I am doing my timing belt on Monday because it has 162K on it and never been changed! (i just bought it) needless to say, I am not driving it until I get it changed... sorry to hear that though. i would also do the mini-me conversion if thtat happened to me...

Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 PM
HCF Member

the tow bill would have been grippa bad i was still 6 1/2 hours away lol i was goin to albany which is pretty close to corvallas... Can i put az6 head on or what one do i need?The y8 head wontwork correct? Im new to the EG world used to have an EK so forgive the noob questions lol

Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 AM
HCF Member

Well might need a whole new motor not just a head. Compression check shows the best cylinder only reading 59lbs. The tech said that even an old motor should hold 130 so.....Where is the best place to get a d15? hmotors online or where are some other places? Also will the jdm d15 be a direct plug and play (except for vtec of i know that will have to be wired up..)

Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 PM
HCF Member

My buddy is doing a mini me swap now with my old z6 head. so if you needed the d15 head i could prolly get him to sell that to ya real cheap. Came from my old car, real stong motor. just let me know man.