General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Supercharger & HID pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Default RE: Supercharger & HID pics

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

- where is your timing?
- do you have a boost gauge on it?

damn, if I were there I could help. tell us a little more about what exactly it's doing, or try to get that video up.
No boost gauge (yet). Timing is pretty close to stock un-boosted (not sure of the exact timing) with about 1.2 or 1.3 deg retard per pound of boost (using MSD boost retard control **** in the glove box)

I don't really know sh*t about how timing works so if that's way too much or too little, don't laugh [sm=helpout.gif]

Old 10-28-2005, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

Yeah that may be too much retard. Can you adjust it or turn it off? If you can just set it to 0 retard and run 10* of timing like JR recommends. You have the stock pulley on there right? It sounds like your spark is being cut if it's bogging. I have heard nothing but bad when people start fooling with ignition.

A boost gauge would really help you to know what was going on.

Are you running supreme?

Perhaps your ecu knock sensor and the ignition retard are interfering wiht one another.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:57 PM

Yeah that may be too much retard. Can you adjust it or turn it off? If you can just set it to 0 retard and run 10* of timing like JR recommends. You have the stock pulley on there right? It sounds like your spark is being cut if it's bogging. I have heard nothing but bad when people start fooling with ignition.

A boost gauge would really help you to know what was going on.

Are you running supreme?

Perhaps your ecu knock sensor and the ignition retard are interfering wiht one another.
The **** goes from 0 to 3 so yeah if I push it all the way back to zero that should do it. I'm not sure exactly what the timing is but I'll ask him. What is stock timing?

I am running a 1/4 tank 93 octane from BP (aka Amoco) right now. I was running Shell V-power before the install, but when we were installing the fuel pump he said it stank so bad that he thought it was 87. I dunno... all gas stinks to me. Any brand recommendations?

Old 10-28-2005, 01:08 PM
HCF Member

Brand doesn't really matter as long as it's reputable provider.

Stock timing is 16* btdc.

0-3. Does that mean from 0*-3* of timing retard or is that just a reference? The thing to do is to set it as low as it will go and run it until you get pinging and then give it a couple of clicks back and that's where your setting should be on pump gas.

Go out there right now and set it to the lowest setting (least retard) and gun it and come back and tell us if anything is different.

Old 10-28-2005, 01:20 PM

Brand doesn't really matter as long as it's reputable provider.

Stock timing is 16* btdc.

0-3. Does that mean from 0*-3* of timing retard or is that just a reference? The thing to do is to set it as low as it will go and run it until you get pinging and then give it a couple of clicks back and that's where your setting should be on pump gas.

Go out there right now and set it to the lowest setting (least retard) and gun it and come back and tell us if anything is different.
this is what i've got - http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_7_6462.htm

So according to that, if I dial the **** to zero, it shouldn't retard the timing any under boost, correct? I'll try what you suggested during my lunch break. If 16* is stock and 10* is what jackson recommends, why TF would dude set the timing "close to stock" (his exact words). Sheesh, no damn wonder I'm so slow.

EDIT - oh and for anyone who's interested, I also have one of these - http://www.msdignition.com/sci_8.htm

and one of these - http://www.msdignition.com/coil_blaster_6_8207.htm

and a set of these - http://www.msdignition.com/wire_1.htm

Old 10-28-2005, 01:40 PM
HCF Member

Hmm, have you checked that rev control feature to amke sure it isn't set at like 3000 rpm?

The more timing you can run, the more power you can make. So you want to run as much timing as you can w/o getting detonation or "pinging", "knocking", i.e the "Death Rattle." That's why he has your initial timing set to "close to stock." Just take some of the retard out. No way you need 3* of retard. I am running just under 1*/1psi and I have the upgraded pulley so you shouldn't need more than .75.

I wish you would have installed the ignition stuff after the SC. It would make it easier to troubleshoot. Have you asked the guy who put it in about what's going on?

Old 10-28-2005, 02:09 PM
HCF Member

jesus, that should REALLY need a tune if you dont feel anything different.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:10 PM

I just called him and asked about the timing and he said it's at stock. The boost retard **** is set at about 1.3 right now, so wouldn't that mean that under full boost, I'm running ~8* retarded? ? Also, I still don't understand why he'd set the timing at stock 16* if JR recommends 10*

<== boost n00b

Old 10-28-2005, 02:35 PM

I got my HID here at www.hidynamic.com

After I submit them my pictures, they give me this link for discount price, you guys can go over there to take a look.

http://hidynamic.com/group/groupbuy.htm, this link will give you 15 dollars off from the original price of 249.99.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:35 PM

Hmm, have you checked that rev control feature to amke sure it isn't set at like 3000 rpm?

The more timing you can run, the more power you can make. So you want to run as much timing as you can w/o getting detonation or "pinging", "knocking", i.e the "Death Rattle." That's why he has your initial timing set to "close to stock." Just take some of the retard out. No way you need 3* of retard. I am running just under 1*/1psi and I have the upgraded pulley so you shouldn't need more than .75.

I wish you would have installed the ignition stuff after the SC. It would make it easier to troubleshoot. Have you asked the guy who put it in about what's going on?
I turned the boost retard **** all the way back as far as it could go (zero retard under boost) and that definitely made a difference. I didn't notice any engine knock but who knows...

Now I just need somebody to help me out with fiddling with the regular timing I guess...

Sniper it looks like I may eventually end up making that trip down to LA after all. yu0 are teh SC gawd! I shoulda just brought this sh*t to you in the first place [:@] [sm=hail.gif]

Quick Reply: Supercharger & HID pics