General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

SWARFEGA, dont use it, it killed my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:43 AM
Default SWARFEGA, dont use it, it killed my car

ok so the car had some paint work done and there was some overspray on my light clusters and some of the exterior trims....

time to remove it yes, ok, so after a bit or research and shopping around i found this

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...LAID=266990156

so reading the back it said "for use on a wide range of hadr surfaces"

i did like it said and applied the stuff to the surface left it for 1-2 mins and washed it off. i did a test spot and it came out great. so i decided to go ahead and use it around the rest of my bits and bobs.

well this is what happened.

this is the test spot.... looks great and this was left for a half hour after i had rinsed it with oodles of water..

i did the exact same with the rest of my car as i did with the test spot. except after like 15 mins of me rinsing everything i used it on had turned white.

i am awaiting a reply from Deb Ltd as to what they plan to do. the rest of the product was sent back for testing along with these pics of the damage. just thought id share with the rest of you guys my bad experience using SWARFEGA products.

oh and before anyone asks...NO there was no warning about using this product on plastic surfaces. even the MSDS doesnt say anything about use on plastics.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:24 AM
HCF Member

um... am i not seeing something? i don't this it says safe on cars or its specifically for cars. Think its for walls...

Old 10-25-2009, 01:13 PM
HCF Member

it also says "High performance, solvent formulation removes various types of paints and ink" you should of been expecting it to mess up some paint somewhere. lol i dont think this stuff is for cars

Old 10-25-2009, 02:28 PM

I never heard of the product but I would not buy any product that said Graffiti removal. What you going to do now about your car?

You can be the first to give it a review and warn future customer.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

never be a guini pig (sp), always use what others reccomend and they have personally used.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Well, going by the category, Outdoor cleaning, I would have never used this on my car. I would sand and buff out the headlights and tail lights (take them off the car), then polish them up nice. For the side moldings, maybe some type of black trim restorer? Or just have the side moldings and door handles (and anything else that didn't come painted from factory) painted.

Otherwise, have you tried contacting the manufacturer to see if they have any recommendations? I would love to be able to read the back of the bottle and see what it says.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:04 PM

ok here's what you do.

wetsand in steps from around 800, ending around 2000.

take rubbing compound and hand buff the crap out of it.

Then do the same with some polish

Then do the same with wax

That's how I got my old taillights looking good again after sanding them made them look like that.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Well, going by the category, Outdoor cleaning, I would have never used this on my car. I would sand and buff out the headlights and tail lights (take them off the car), then polish them up nice. For the side moldings, maybe some type of black trim restorer? Or just have the side moldings and door handles (and anything else that didn't come painted from factory) painted.

Otherwise, have you tried contacting the manufacturer to see if they have any recommendations? I would love to be able to read the back of the bottle and see what it says.
i diddnt actually buy it from B&Q, so the category means very little. i actually purchased it from halfords which happens to be a reputable car based retailer.

i have also contacted the manufacturer and have sent them photos of the damage and they are taking necessary steps to resolve the matter.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
ok here's what you do.

wetsand in steps from around 800, ending around 2000.

take rubbing compound and hand buff the crap out of it.

Then do the same with some polish

Then do the same with wax

That's how I got my old taillights looking good again after sanding them made them look like that.
i understand this may work for the rear clusters, but? will it work for the headlights.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Angry Admin

yes .

Quick Reply: SWARFEGA, dont use it, it killed my car