General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Switchblade Key fob for 97-00 Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Default Switchblade Key fob for 97-00 Civic?

I found this on eBay...

Can anyone share any information they might have on this?

Anyone interested? I am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-98...Q5fAccessories

Old 06-23-2009, 06:36 PM
HCF Member

get it and take it to a key maker.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by NIKE H34D
get it and take it to a key maker.
Well yeah..

The remote doesn't even look like a Honda remote, haha.

Not sure about this knockoff, hopefully they have a return policy.

Programming should be easy........?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 PM
HCF Member

what programming? the only thing that thing does is push a button and the key pops out and press it again and it will slide back in. take it somewhere and get the key cut.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
what programming? the only thing that thing does is push a button and the key pops out and press it again and it will slide back in. take it somewhere and get the key cut.
No, it has to be programmed in order for the key fob to unlock/lock, etc. I'm not familiar with that particular key but if you have factory door locks and remote, you can modify your factory chip to the new flip key module and make it fit in the new case with functioning buttons. As for the key itself, I'm not sure about the key blank design, make sure it's the same as your current key. If all else fails, you can just cut and weld the factory key end to the flip style fob (not a good idea).

Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 PM
HCF Member

There are no electronics or transponders inside this device. Simply stop by your local hardware store, home improvement center, or locksmith and have the blade cut. Most hardware stores will charge only a dollar or two.

Programming: The vehicles mentioned in this auction are NOT equipped with an anti-theft transponder system, so all you need to do is have the key cut and you're finished!
this one doesn't need any programming because this year civic doesn't have an immobilizer, and i don't think this one does any keyless entry functions so there is no programming for that either.

edit: well now that i look again it may have the keyless stuff. its not very clear about it.

Last edited by Sigracer10; 06-23-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:02 PM
HCF Member

WIth the press of the silver button, the hidden keyblade is spring-released, automatically locking into the useful position. Press the button again so you can press the blade back into it's hidden position.

There are no electronics or transponders inside this device. Simply stop by your local hardware store, home improvement center, or locksmith and have the blade cut. Most hardware stores will charge only a dollar or two.

Programming: The vehicles mentioned in this auction are NOT equipped with an anti-theft transponder system, so all you need to do is have the key cut and you're finished!

The device has a high-quality feel. It's made of heavyweight ABS plastic and chrome steel components. There is no cheap, plastic chrome on this device.

Be among the first to own this high-quality switchblade key!

EDIT: dammit sigracer, you beat me to it. lol. but i dont that thins key does any remote entry functions. read the bolded text i copy and pasted straight from the ebay listing

Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 PM
HCF Member

ah, i saw the picture and assumed that's the one he was referring to. I'm glad some has time to read through 10 pages of useless information on ebay, lol, j/k. It's late, i'm tired, and i'm writing a paper and studying, so go figure.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 PM

If you get the blade cut at your dealership (if it's nearby), it'll be a 100% perfect cut because they cut it with a computer. Just bring your registration inside with you (proves you own the car) and go to the parts counter. They might even do it for free (my dealership would), because normally they charge like $1.95 but that's when they supply the key.

If you don't have a dealership nearby, then go to the hardware store. Getting a dealer to cut it though is always the better option, unless your current key is relatively new and not worn at all (which would make the hardware store copy just fine)

Old 06-23-2009, 09:19 PM
HCF Member

and one more thing to add on to trusts post. some hardware stores will not cut honda keys at all. When I had to get a copy of my key I had to go to the dealership because all the hardware stores do not carry honda keys and they refused to cut one. So I would recommend just going to a dealership period

Quick Reply: Switchblade Key fob for 97-00 Civic?