General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Teardown...

Old 04-14-2009, 06:36 PM
HCF Member
Question Teardown...

So I finally got around to tearing the motor down today. End result - missing a small piece out of a valve was broken, and the head gasket was screwed. The condition of the head just made me want to cry. But the pistons don't seem bad, and the cylinder walls are GREAT.

Name:  DSCF0006.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  46.7 KB

So i've decided to just get a new head. I've got a buddy who will sell me his Vtec head for $60. So I guess I'm just going to buy that, and throw it on. Won't be as fast as my bike was, but will be better than the good ol heal toe express.
I know that when I put on the Vtec head, I won't have the vtec engaging. I was kinda curious about making the whole swap. I'm not 100% sure on this, so fill me in or correct me if i'm wrong. I just need to put in the Vtec head, change the ECU, and change from OBD-0 to OBD-1, and wire up the vtec.
And IF I do have that correct, how hard is the conversion? I'm FINALLY back to working, and want this car up and running before the lake is swim worthy.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 PM
HCF Member

^^sounds about right.

does the new head have the intake manifold on it? I would convert to multiport fuel injection regardless.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:13 PM
HCF Member

Thank you for asking that -- I completely forgot about that!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:15 PM
HCF Member

i used http://fourthgenhatch.net/mpfi.html

had no problems.

Search this Thread