General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Temp Gauge issue..And thx for all the help

Old 05-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Default Temp Gauge issue..And thx for all the help

First, thanks for the help in fixing my idling problem..I cleaned the IACV and now she is idling perfectly.
But will all the work I did this weekend, I still was not able to fix my temp problem. I replaced the temp sensor that screws into the block but this didn't fix the problem. The problem that is even without firing up the engine, if I just turn the key to on, the temp goes up to about 3/4 to all the way to H. And this is when the car has been sitting over night. This also happens when I am driving. I know some of the previous ideas were head gasket issues. But after this weekend, when the engine at temp, the fan running, I ohm out the senor and it is between 40-47ohms...the fan shuts off and it is between 50-52ohms. My manually say at 180-190 degrees it should be around 50ohms...so it seems the temperature itself is correct and stable, and the fact that the fan is coming on and off kinds says the same thing......
But the feed back to the sensor is hosed...My questions is, besides the actually sensor at the block, does this dash temp gauge get a signal anywhere else??

Old 05-24-2007, 03:34 AM
Default RE: Temp Gauge issue..And thx for all the help

There should be an ECT sending unit near the thermostat housing (I'm assuming this is the near the same sensor you changed...). That is what sends the signal to the gage. If that's what you replaced (remember there is a sensor and sending unit), maybe the cluster is bad??