General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

thinking of buying 08 civic

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:48 AM
Default thinking of buying 08 civic

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a 08 civic LX sedan next weekend. I currently drive a g35 so i'm downgrading due to high insurance + gas etc. I know its not going to be powerfull as my current car but i know for a fact it will be reliable. The g35 is a nice car but i been having to many problems which is turning me away from buying another nissan car.
How well is the 08 civic build? What are the cons, pros with the civic? the canadian honda site says the civic would last 8.4L/100 km, how accurate is that?
I'm thinking of getting a manual this time, but i don't know how to drive. Is it easy to learn? I know honda had problems with their tranny's but is that been sorted out now?

thanks

Old 02-24-2008, 07:27 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: thinking of buying 08 civic

Honda, problems with tranny?
I think new hondas and g35's are ugly anyway, but stick is easy. I didn't start driving until I was 18 and I started with automatic. I bought a '00 Civic Ex with stick and it took me maybe a couple weeks for smooth shifts, no stalling. I never grind though, that's one thing you want to avoid. Make sure you're pressing the clutch in before you shift.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:02 AM
HCF Member

Its not too hard to learn, but like always practise makes perfect. You will love your honda because even though its not as powerful, its a lot more fun to drive, and yes hondas do last a long time

Old 02-24-2008, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

I have an '06 manual LX Sedan and I am doing better than the 32.5MPG (8.4L/100km) you quoted. The mileage will of course be better in the summer in Canada than in the winter. I learned on a stick in the 1950s, so driving this one was no problem for me. I think you will like the quality of the Civic better, and though it may be not as quick as your old car you will find the acceleration more than adequate. The only Canada related problem you might notice is the low front lip dragging indeepsnow. I have had to use care here in Illinois also.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

If you're downgrading, maybe an EX would be better. Just love having a sunroof!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 AM

I just got a 08 civic LX coupe 5sp auto. All i can say is it is a great car. Performance really surprised me, i remember when a 4cyl meant you were going to get run over pulling out into traffic. This v-tech gets up to speed with no problem. If you are concerned about the manual the 5sp auto works very well. Try a test drive in the auto then manual see what you like best. Any choice and you picked a nice car. Good luck.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:15 AM

Got an '08 Si sedan a few months ago. This is one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. It's got a 6-speed manual. The transmission is super smooth and easy to work. I downgraded into this car too. I got rid of a 2005 Dodge Ram "Rumble Bee" package, so this car is a world of difference. I've had other small sporty cars but this one is just sweet.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:44 PM

Thats a real downgrade...[:@]...maybe try to get an Accord instead or at least an Si...

Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 PM

i have an lx coupe and i love it. there was one recall on the abs sensor but im sure by now they've taken care of that. the gas mileage is great and for a non SI civic its got some *****. i like the coupe better but the sedan may prove more useful...other than that you'll have fun driving it.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: badshah

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a 08 civic LX sedan next weekend. I currently drive a g35 so i'm downgrading due to high insurance + gas etc. I know its not going to be powerfull as my current car but i know for a fact it will be reliable. The g35 is a nice car but i been having to many problems which is turning me away from buying another nissan car.
How well is the 08 civic build? What are the cons, pros with the civic? the canadian honda site says the civic would last 8.4L/100 km, how accurate is that?
I'm thinking of getting a manual this time, but i don't know how to drive. Is it easy to learn? I know honda had problems with their tranny's but is that been sorted out now?

thanks
You are definitely gonna want to go with an EX instead of the LX. I had a 2000 EX before I got my CRV and I missed it so much that I ran outand bought a '08 SI. Frickin love my car!They ride nice, drive great, never had a problem with my tranny's.So definitely go with a EX shift. And no it's not hard to learn.. My car dealer guy gave me my lesson in 2000... Third lesson I drove it home. Nothin beats a shift... It's how you drive a car! Couldn't personally go back to an EX now tho... I love my 6th gear!!!!I wanna go for a drive now! haha. Oh and the EX's aren't too much more than an LX. Good luck car shopping!