General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Timing Belt / Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Default Timing Belt / Water Pump

I have an 2001 honda civic with 115,000 km on it , in the manual it says to replace at 176,000 km or 7 years.

One Honda dealer told me to replace it at 100,000 or 7 years and it will cost $575 with taxes.

The acura dealer told me to change it at 176,000 but told me to make sure with a honda dealer.

Another honda dealer told me 176,000 km. I live in Toronto Canada so Harsh Climate occurs like 2 - 3 months every year.

I m wondering if I should change it now or if i could keep off for a few more years.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Given the harsh winters where you live and the age of your car (>7years), my recommendation (for what it's worth) would be to change the belt now.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:23 PM
HCF Member

change it now, better to do it early than be sorry later on. and it doesn't hurt to do it early either.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

Forget the water pump. That's a crock. They always try to get you to replace parts that don't need it. Only fix it if there's a problem. I've changed my timing belt twice, 177K mi on the car, I wouldn't swap the water pump just because I was in the neighborhood. I've never seen a drop of coolant on the garage floor, except when I drain it and miss the bucket.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 96Cex
Forget the water pump. That's a crock. They always try to get you to replace parts that don't need it. Only fix it if there's a problem. I've changed my timing belt twice, 177K mi on the car, I wouldn't swap the water pump just because I was in the neighborhood. I've never seen a drop of coolant on the garage floor, except when I drain it and miss the bucket.
like i just said on the other thread

While it should last the life of the car, it doesn't always. Better safe than sorry. A lot of people have the water pump go out.

Honda engines can last a very long time when properly maintained, and you have to take that into account when saying they should last the life of the car. The life of the car could very well be 400,000 miles or maybe even more, given that it is taken well care of.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

for me i changed the water pump along with my timing belt because i might as well while i'm working on that area already, why not replace as well

Old 02-11-2009, 07:47 PM
HCF Member

I hear ya. But for me I don't replace parts that aren't broken, even if it is easy to do while you're doing the belt. At $65 for a water pump, I'll wait for it to fail before replacing it, and keep good fresh coolant in it at all times to make it last as long as possible.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:00 PM
HCF Member

I had the dealership change the water pump in my 1997 Civic while they were in there changing the timing belt. Did I need to? Probably not. But with all the bad luck I had in 2007, Murphy would have come back to bite me in the ***.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by gunz4me
I had the dealership change the water pump in my 1997 Civic while they were in there changing the timing belt. Did I need to? Probably not. But with all the bad luck I had in 2007, Murphy would have come back to bite me in the ***.
I agree. It's like buying a relatively inexpensive insurance policy.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by 96Cex
I hear ya. But for me I don't replace parts that aren't broken, even if it is easy to do while you're doing the belt. At $65 for a water pump, I'll wait for it to fail before replacing it, and keep good fresh coolant in it at all times to make it last as long as possible.
DUDE.. you dont have a clue what you are talking about....Good fresh coolant??... whatever... the bearings wear out on the water pump, you will need a new one, and labor alone will cost 200 at a dealer.....TIMING BELTS AND WATER PUMPS should be done at the same time!!!!

Quick Reply: Timing Belt / Water Pump