General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

tips for buying a used civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 PM
grt
Default tips for buying a used civic

while i'm probally going to be buying a used civic soon. Im looking in the years from 94-97 because of my price range. I want a 4 door but would buy a hatch or coupe. Its got to be stick too.

I hoping on it being a good daily driver for the next 1.5-2 years. i dont really plan on modding it besides for a stero but that it,

Does any one have any tips for buying a used civic i know they rust out in the rear quater panels. i know if it got over 100k you want to see the timing belts been replaced but that about it. Any engines, transmissions to avoid? which one get the best millage?
any input would be great
thanks

Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 PM

Hey there, 2 months ago I purchased a 98 civic and a month or so later the engine went out. Before the engine went out I have to say that it ran good. The car had one engine code p0420 but that is it. Since its my first honda and i was trying to figure out what happened. Everybody tells me that I got screwed because the seller was an 18 year old looking kid. Im not trying to scare you but alot of people are telling me that I should of turned around when I saw the age of the seller. Another clue that the car was not taken care of was that the car had no stereo, the pcu was loose and not secured, a few of the plastic trim pieces were missing, no spare or jack, the sparkkplugs were prob originals. What I am trying to say is that the car had no "pride of ownership". I spent like 100 too fix and replace all of the pieces what were missing, why the kid did not do it after owning the car for a year is beyond me. I doubt it was because of money because he had like a 400.00 phone. My best recomendation is to look at everything especially under the hood, I would take of sparkplugs, and scan the cars computer for fault codes, do this yourself or go to the nearest autozone(for free). Look for leaks and ask for a reciept of the timing belt being changed because of not take that into consideration on the price. take it for a good long test drive and good luck! oh and always negotiate on the price, I got him to go down almost 1k.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:02 PM
HCF Member

Something I would do is crawl under the car and look at the underside of the engine. (take a flashlight with you) When I bought mine the top had been cleaned but the bottom was encased in grease. This lead to several hundred in repairs trying to locate the leak.
Pull the oil cap and look inside of it for a milky film. Also pull the radiator cap and check inside of it for a film. Pull the oil dipstick and check the color and smell of it.Same with power steering fluid.
Make sure to drive it on the highway at speed, as well as bumpy back roads and speed bumps. Listen for clunks and feel for vibrations. Let the car idle and make sure it runs smooth. If you have someone with you have them stand behind the car when you first start it to see if there is smoke. Also have them follow you in the car if possible to check for smoke.
There are shops that you can take cars to for a full inspection. Can be worth the money depending on the cost of the car and length of time you plan on keeping it.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 PM
grt

thanks those are good. I never really thought about the pride of "owner ship". Also being a 17 year old kid i would not want o buy a car off a kid my age. i see how my friends drive their cars and what hey put um through.

im pretty good a spotting mechincal problems
is there any honda specific problems you would look out for?
thanks again i cant belive how quick a reply i got

Old 11-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Years 1992 to 1995 is a "generation", they are all basically the same car. Then in 1996 the car was majorly redesigned. I really like a 1994 or 1995 best, that was when they got it right.

When you take the oil cap off, also look (bring a flashlight) for black crud in the engine. That means the previous owner didn't change the oil often enough, and you will have problems. It should look like just brown oil and metal in there.

There were only two engines stock, the VTEC and non-VTEC D-series. The difference is the VTEC type is more powerful when wound up to high rpm. Both are good engines.

Avoid cars that have been extensively modified. After someone does that they're going to drive it hard too.

Last edited by mk378; 11-15-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:56 PM
HCF Member

well i was going to say watch out for too much rust near the rear wheel wells and check to see if the trunk leaks. 4th gens are notorious for that but make sure it doesnt have 2 high of km or miles and make sure it hasnt been rat bagged most people do that before they sell it. get it for a good price too.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:26 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Run your fingers around the entire door jambs, inside of the doors around the rubber seals, and take a look under the wheel well covers. Everything should be very smooth and rust free. If you feel bubbling, cracking, or any crinkles, walk away.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Cat Fuсker

Get a lincoln towncar instead...