General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Tires...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:45 PM
HCF Member
Default Tires...

Alright is this the truth??? i have a b16a2 civic on some i/h/e my tires i have currently are bridgestone is it true that if i throw stock rims on it il hook up alot better?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: Tires...

probably not. It depends on the quality of tire you have now vs. the quality of tire on your stock wheels. But if you have super-heavy aftermarkets on now, your acceleration will probably be better if you put the stocks back on.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:42 PM

lightweight wheels+big sticky icky tires=fast hook

Old 09-27-2007, 12:58 PM

don't forget the more tire on the ground the better you will go to. Lowering the tire pressure allows more surface of the tire to touch the road, which will give you more grip. Alloy wheels are light. Also make sure that you do not have such a small tire that you lose top end, because you run out of gear

Old 09-27-2007, 03:35 PM
HCF Member

It depends on what tires you have right now! And please don't lower your tire pressure so you get more tire on the ground, you'll just wear out your tires MUCH faster!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:28 AM

ORIGINAL: foress_89

It depends on what tires you have right now! And please don't lower your tire pressure so you get more tire on the ground, you'll just wear out your tires MUCH faster!
Well if you are running the air pressure the factory states, you could be wearing out the middle of your tires. I didn't say to run it so low that you run on the side walls. Not everyone runs on the whole tread though. They put in the max psi the tire can hold and are glad they get better gas mileage, but the tire wears faster. The reason is you are putting more weight in one section instead of spreading out the weigth over the whole tire surface. If can can distribute the weight, you can make your tires last longer. Think of it like squating with one leg, with out the other leg you get tired fast and could hurt yourself, but with both you last longer and it easier.

I have worked with a tire company for over 7 years and have run tires as big as 44s and rim sizes as big as 26s. You have to play with air pressure when you have so much money in tires. Put all the stuff you learn from caring for the high dollar stuff to yourdaily drivers and you can make a word of difference. Wet the tire across the tread put some sand down on the ground and drive forward slowly. This will give you an idea on how much tire you are riding on. It does not tell you if you are too low in some cases, but can tell you if you have too much air in your tires. The other way to check as your tires get some miles on them is to take a tire depth gauge and go from one side to the other. see how much the sides are wearing compared to the middle. This can also tell you if your alignment is out even if you do not have neg camber. your tire could lean some and causes the inside to wear out faster and this can help save your tires from going bad on the inside or outside faster than they need to.